Health Insurance Scheme for Weavers (HIS) or Handloom Weavers Health Insurance Scheme is a Social Security Welfare Scheme. In the 12th Five Year Plan, the Health Insurance Scheme was established on the pattern of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) of Ministry of Labour and Employment.
The scheme is aimed towards financially enabling the weaver community to access the best of healthcare facilities in the country.
The scheme is to cover not only the weaver but his wife and two children, to cover all pre-existing diseases as well as new diseases and keeping substantial provision for OPD.
The ancillary Handlooms workers like those engaged in warping, winding, dyeing, printing, finishing, sizing, Jhala making, Jacquard cutting etc. are also eligible to be covered.
Health Insurance Scheme was implemented by Ministry of Textiles to provide health care facility to handloom weavers.
The healthcare facility was provided through a Health Insurance Company which was selected by open tender procedure. Only the annual premium was paid to the Health Insurance Company as per the actual enrolment done.
The health insurance claims submitted by the weavers were paid directly by Health Insurance Company. No irregularity in utilizing the Government of India funds were noticed in the implementation of the scheme.
|Name of the Scheme||Health Insurance Scheme for Weavers|
|Title||Check the Details of Handloom Weavers Health Insurance Scheme|
|Subject||Govt Of India launched the Health Insurance Scheme for Handloom Weavers|
|Link||Check your Eligibility.|
The Government of India, Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) is implementing following Schemes for promotion and development of Handicrafts Sector:
- National Handicraft Development Programme (NHDP)
- Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS)
Eligibility for Weavers Health Insurance Scheme
- Should be an Indian Citizen
- The weaver should be earning at least 50% of his income from handloom weaving
- All weavers, whether male or female, are eligible to be covered under the “Health Insurance Scheme”
Benefits of Weavers Health Insurance Scheme
- The beneficiaries would avail a package of Rs 15,000 that includes both pre-existing diseases and new diseases.
- The division in terms of disbursement of the amount according to the medical conditions stands as- Maternity benefit (per child for the first two)- Rs 2500, Eye treatment – Rs 75, Spectacles – Rs 250, Domiciliary Hospitalisation- Rs 4000, Ayurvedic/Unnani/Homeopathic/Siddha- Rs 4000, Hospitalization (including pre and post)- Rs 15000, Baby coverage-500, OPD and limit per illness- Rs 7500.
A prospective beneficiary shall be required to fill up an enrolment form and submit the same to the State Directorate of Handlooms along with his/her share of the premium.
The application / enrollment form shall be made available to the State Directorate of Handlooms and / or the weavers by the ICICI Lombard. For more information, please visit the official website.
|Contribution by the Govt. of India||Rs.769.36/ per annum|
|Contribution by the Handloom weaver/ state Govt.||Rs.20.40/ per annum|
(as per Government’s resolution dt.5/2/2011)
|Rs.150.50/ per annum|
|Total premium||Rs.939.76/- per annum|
Implementing Agency: ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd.
Benefits of HIS
|Annual Limit per family (1+3)||15,000/-|
|Sub Limits per Family:|
|All pre-existing Diseases + New Diseases||15,000/-|
|Maternity Benefits (per child for the first two)||2,500/-|
|Hospitalisation (including pre and post)||15,000/-|
|Limit per illness||7,500/-|