Implementation of Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation
Examination reforms are an important component of the curriculum and the evaluation is a powerful means of improving the quality of education. It constitutes an important part of the curriculum. It determines how learners learn and teachers teach. An understanding of learners, educational aims, the nature of knowledge and the nature of the school as a social space can help us to guide classroom processes.
All the educational committees recommended for reducing emphasis on external examinations and encouraging internal assessment through CCE. The scope of evaluation in schools extents all the areas of learners personality development. It includes both scholastic and co-scholastic areas and should be comprehensive in nature. This is in line with the goals of education. Continuous evaluation reveals the strengths and weaknesses of learners more frequently and it also provide feedback to the teachers for modifying their teaching strategies.
Assessment is an integral part of teaching learning process and not apart from it. The main function of assessment is to facilitate and guide learning. The goals and scope of assessment should be same as per learning and teaching. The assessment tasks may be similar to learning tasks. If evaluation is seen as an integral part built into the teaching learning process it will become continuous like both teaching and learning. When evaluation is subsumed into teaching learning, learners will not pursue and tests and examinations with fear. Therefore, CCE will leads to diagnosis, remediation and enhancement of learning. Assessment is the collected evidence of learners progress in the learning process and informed to them and their parents.
Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation includes both Scholastic and co-scholastic areas and now treated them as curricular areas which reflects the holistic development of the learner. Continuous evaluation reveals the strengths and weakness of learners more frequently and it is a feedback to the children and teachers for improvement.
CCE is a school based evaluation covering all the aspects of learners growth and development. The main aim is to find out how far the curricular objectives were achieved.
Assessment: Existing Perspectives
- Assessment of learning is now treated as terminal and outside the teaching learning processes to rank and grade the children. Assessment involves using paper-pencil test retrieving information from the children. Usually children memorize the concepts, definitions and answers to questions and reproduce them in the examinations. Children suffer tension, anxiety and fear of exams in view of burden of memorization and its proper reproduction. The assessment is also confined to core curricular subjects and it never attempts to know how far the purpose of school is achieved in terms of realizing educational aims and objectives. Assessment is not being treated as an evidence of teachers practice and strength of the curricular content. Assessment must become an integral part of teaching; it must be holistic, comprehensive and cumulative.
- The NPE -1986 made a special emphasis on the improvement of the examination system as well as the process of evaluation. In the document i.e. challenge of education it was mentioned that the annual examination system evaluates the candidates on the basis of wrote learning and memory and creates the attitudes and circumstances to study only for three to four months in a year. As the application of knowledge has not been done continuously, unbearable, tensions, arise at the end of the year.
- The National Curriculum Frame Work – 2005 made special emphasis resorting to innovative evaluation processes instead of examinations that emphasis memory like oral work, group work, projects etc.
- The focus from testing memory to testing higher level competencies such as interpretation, analysis, synthesis, problem solving etc.
What SCF Says on Assessment
- Education is concerned with preparing citizens for a meaningful and productive life and evaluation should be a way providing feedback on the extent to which we have been successful in imparting such an education.
- Well designed assessment and regular reports cards provide learners with feedback and such standards for them to improve.
- Assessment also serve to inform parents about the quality of learning and the development and progress of their wards?
Assessing Learning Aims
Three different aims are enlisted for assessing the learners as follows:
1. to support learning
2. to assess the learning standard of learners and affect promotion and issue certificates.
3. to inform the public and win their reorganization on the progress.
Assessment process refers to the entire process of measurement, analysis and classification and relation to learning.
Assessment for learning:
Assessment for learning is done along with the learning process for its efficacy through diverse interventions, assessment and feedback. This will be intertwined with each learning activity. It is formative in nature (Formative assessment)
Assessment as learning:
This is a process by which a learner goes back self-critically through the learning process he / she has undergone and identifies his/her own merits and limitations. The refinement processes done in the light of self assessment is nothing but learning itself, a deeper level of learning.
Assessment of learning:
Assessment of learning is assessing the learners after a particular period of time to know what they have learned and to pass the information to the persons concerned. It is the assessment of the changes visible in a learner after a fixed period of time and the assessment of the learner’s achievement level. Term – end assessments more or less do this function. It is summative in nature in the form of examinations both oral and written.
CCE and Examination Reforms:
Following are the proposed reforms as a part of implementation of CCE.
- Making examinations more flexible an integrated into classroom teaching through formative assessment.
- Ensuring that learning is shifted away from rote methods and memory oriented and focus on self expression.
- Grading in place of marks.
- Assessment of subject specific academic standards / competencies rather than information.
- Assessment is school based through teacher made test papers.
- Questions which are analytical and open ended which discriminate children of various abilities.
- Teacher maintaining child wise, subject wise performance register.
- The assessment tools are not only pen paper but also oral, projects, observations, portfolios, class work, activity reports etc.,
- Evaluation made comprehensive including co-curricular areas such as Art Education, Games And Sports, Work Experience, Value Education etc.,
- Evaluation made continuous and now become part of teaching through formative assessment.
- Progress report compresses with descriptive statement on children performance covering all curricular areas.
- Periodic sharing of children progress with SMCs and parents.
- Assessment starts with a base line assessment at the beginning of academic year for all subjects and classes based on which the teacher set targets and plan for teaching.
Check more details from here
*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details