NCSTC National Awards: National Council for Science and Technology Communication Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India has given National Awards for Science and Technology Communication 2015 Notification and invites nominations for giving National Awards for 2015
The following awards shall be presented every year to an individual or an institution for outstanding contribution in the field of science and technology communication and promoting scientific temper which has created significant impact in the country during the last five years. The awards carry a citation, a memento and cash award.
Description of the awards and the awards carry cash amount as indicated below
A. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication in general: Rs.2,00,000/-
B. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Print Media including Books and Magazines: Rs.1,00,000/-
C. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Popularization among Children: Rs.1,00,000/-
D. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Translation of Popular Science & Technology Literature in languages mentioned in the eighth schedule of the Constitution of India and in English: Rs.1,00,000/-
E. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Innovative and Traditional methods: Rs.1,00,000/-
F. National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication in the Electronic Medium: Rs.1,00,000/-
Eligibility for the awards
- The awards are open to all Indian citizens as well as to institutions registered in India or created by the Central/ State governments/ Union Territories.
- To be eligible for the awards, it is required that an Indian citizen/ non government organization / institution registered in India is recommended in writing by a competent authority as defined in Section IV.
- Individuals who are employed in the Ministry of Science and Technology are not eligible for these awards.
- Recipient of a particular award shall be considered for the same award only after a period of 10 years and for a different award after five years.
- Nominee should be above 35 years of age on the date of nomination and be alive on the date of award.
- An organization/ institution shall be eligible for the award if it has rendered more than 10 years of promotional activity in the field of science communication after its registration.
- Individuals who are/were employed in an organization promoted and financed by state government or the central government or in the respective governments and whose primary job/duty/responsibility is/was promotion of Science and Technology communication are ineligible for the awards unless such contribution has been after retirement etc. from such an organization/government.
Periodicity of the awards:
- The awards shall be conferred annually.
- If, however, it is considered that none of the recommendations merit recognition, no award shall be given.
Authorities eligible to nominate
- Heads of national science academies, Presidents of professional science and engineering societies, Vice-Chancellors, Registrars of Universities, Directors of research laboratories, Heads of Departments in Central and State Governments dealing with the science subjects, Heads of recognized scientific organizations, Chairmen of registered S & T based voluntary organizations.
- Chairperson/President of the registered voluntary organization working in the field of Science and Technology particularly Science and Technology Communication.
- Every year a circular letter to the aforesaid agencies shall be issued by the Ministry of Science & Technology (hereinafter referred to as “the Ministry”), inviting nominations for the said awards. In addition, wide publicity shall also be given to the awards through the media. The nomination shall be submitted in the prescribed proforma.
Processing of nominations: NCSTC National Awards:
- Processing of nominations received for the awards shall be made by the National Council for Science & Technology Communication in the Ministry.
- Only completed applications in all respects shall be put up before the Selection Committee for consideration.
Evaluation and selection of the awards
- The final selection of the awards shall be made by a Selection Committee to be constituted by the Ministry. The term of the Selection Committee shall be three years.
- The Selection Committee shall consist of nine (9) members who shall be Indian nationals. The quorum of the meeting shall be five (5) members.
- If a member of the Selection Committee retires or dies or otherwise resigns or demits his/her membership before the expiry of the term of his/her office, another member shall be appointed in his place for the unexpired period of the term.
- The non-official members of the Selection Committee shall be entitled to travelling and daily allowance in accordance with the Financial Rules and procedures as applicable in the Government of India.
- The decision of the Selection Committee shall be by a majority vote. In the event of the votes on both sides being equal, the Chairperson presiding over a particular meeting shall have a casting vote.
- The Selection Committee shall decide on the awards by the First Week of February, every year.
- Decisions of the Selection Committee shall be final.
Presentation of the awards: NCSTC National Awards:
- The awards, as far as possible, shall be presented at New Delhi at a special ceremony/function to be held on the 28th of February, on the National Science Day, every year.
- The awardees shall be invited to receive the awards in person and also to address the gathering on the subject connected with the work recognized for the awards.
- Payment of an amount of the awards: The Ministry shall make payment of the awards at the awards ceremony through an account payee demand draft/banker’s cheque, as the case may be.
- Non-acceptance of the awards: Before the announcement of the conferment of the awards, the concurrence of the prospective awardees shall be ascertained. However, even after giving such acceptance, if an awardee declines to accept the award, the award money shall immediately revert to the Ministry. If an awardee accepts the award and yet fails to draw the amount within the validity period, the amount shall also revert to the Ministry.
General: NCSTC National Awards:
- Any member of the Selection Committee shall be competent to propose an amendment in the Code. However, the final decision in the matter shall be taken by the Ministry.
- The necessary finance for the awards and for all expenses incidental thereto shall be provided by the Ministry.
- The secretarial assistance for the Award shall be provided by the NCSTC Division, Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology or other agency as the Ministry may decide from time to time.
National Awards for Science and Technology Communication – 2015
Last Date: September 30, 2015