DSE Telangana and SSA SPD Instructions on Teacher Preparation and Annual/Lesson Plans Writing for improving the Quality of Teaching: Director of School Education and State Project Director, SSA has given proceedings Rc.No.405 to all the RJDSEs, DEOs, POs of SSA, and all the Principals of DIETs, CTEs, IASEs in Telangana State for improving the quality of teaching through teacher preparation and developing the lesson plans and Certain instructions have been issued on teacher preparation and writing of the annual/ lesson plans
PROCEEDINGS OF THE DIRECTOR OF SCHOOL EDUCATION & STATE PROJECT DIRECTOR, SSA, TELANGANA STATE, HYDERABAD
Rc. No. 405/D/C&T/SCERT/2015, Dated: 19.10.2015
Subject: SCERT, Telangana, Hyderabad – Improving the quality of teaching through teacher preparation and developing the lesson plans -Certain instructions on teacher preparation and writing of the annual/ lesson plans – Orders issued – Reg.
- RTE-2009 and State and National Frameworks.
- Teacher Handbooks and orientation to the Teachers and Headmasters during 2013-14 and 2014-15.
All the RJDSEs, DEOs, POs of SSA and Principals of DIETs, CTEs, IASEs are hereby informed that vide reference cited, the State has taken up curricular and evaluation reforms as per RTE-2009 and National Curriculum Framework-2005. Accordingly, the syllabus and textbooks have been revised with improved participatory approaches for learning and development.
The curriculum reforms not only ended with revision of textbooks but also shifts in the following areas.
- Evolved academic standards – class-wise and subject-wise along with learning
- Developed appropriate teaching learning strategies and steps for effective transaction of subjects reflecting the nature of the subject.
- Revised and improved the annual and lesson plans with a focus on common core standards.
- Development of standard based assessment tools and strategies with a focus on
Formative Assessment under Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE).
- Development of standard based means of reporting students’ progress to parents and others in the form of Cumulative Records.
“The quality of children learning is based on the quality of teaching and also the quality of teacher and his/ her preparation”.
Teacher preparation includes:
- Teacher preparation – value addition to the textual material in terms of new examples, activities, questions etc. Teacher regular reading of reference books and making notes helps for expert teaching and value addition to the textbooks.
- Resources for teaching new textbooks – Teacher must collect/ develop required teaching learning material for effective teaching and learning.
- Preparation of annual and unit cum lesson plans collecting conceptual matters in depth from resource books and from other internet sources.
Annual/Lesson Plan Features:
Following are the salient features of annual/ lesson plan.
- Teachers need not prepare annual and lesson plans every year. Once they development initially for the new textbooks, these plans will continue for the successive years with additions in the conceptual information and Teacher reflections every year.
- The Teachers themselves has to read the entire book for preparing annul plan with expected outcomes/ competencies. Further, the Teachers shall read entire lesson and also some of the reference books for the depth of the concepts for preparing plans.
- The Teacher shall focus on the why he/ she is teaching the lesson, the purpose/
expected outcomes/ competencies of the lesson and shall write in the plan.
- The Teacher has to think and select appropriate teaching learning strategy for active learning through participation of the children in activities, dialogue and discussion which promotes thinking and other higher order thinking skills.
- Based on the nature of the concepts to be taught, the Teacher has to read appropriate reference books for the depth of the concepts and take appropriate notes and record in the lesson plan. Further, Teachers should select appropriate resources and Teaching Learning Material (TLM) for use in the classroom.
- The Teacher shall not copy the concepts/ content matter from the textbooks.
However, he/ she should refer the reference books and collect the additional matter, examples on the concept and make a note of it in the lesson plan. This adds value to the textbook matter.
- The Teacher shall prepare the lesson plans and the same lesson plans may be used in the successive years except adding additional content matter in the form of teaching notes and his/ her reflections after the lesson is over in terms of effectiveness of the teaching, learning, using resources, response from the children etc. This forms reflective teaching and building on his/ her experiences.
The Field Visits of State Level and SCERT Team Reveals in Following things
However, the field visits of State Level Officers from the Department and SCERT reveals in following things.
- Private publishers are publishing the lesson plan books and the Teachers are purchasing the lesson plan books and copying the same into the notebooks and submitting to the Headmasters as their lesson plans. This is highly unprofessional. Lesson plan is a plan prepared by the Teacher himself based on the abilities of the children and resources available for teaching and his capability and keeping in view of purpose of the lesson.
- In certain Districts, it is observed that the DEOs are printing the lesson plan books prepared by some expert Teachers and supplying to the schools, where Teachers using the same without any thinking and professional preparation.
- In some of the schools Teachers are not preparing the lesson plans and concerned supervisory officers are not focusing on the preparation of lesson plans/ preparedness of the Teachers.
- This makes Teachers to become mechanical through the spoon feeding approaches without focusing on their innate potentialities and initiative.
Therefore, all the DEOs, POs of SSA are hereby informed that they must focus on teacher preparation and make them refer the books, read the Teacher Handbooks and plan for their teaching of the lesson through appropriate annual plans/ lesson plans prepared by them.
This gives an idea to the Teacher on why to teach, what to teach and how to teach and how to evaluate children performance and provide proper feedback to the children and parents. Action may be initiated against the Headmasters and Teachers where they do not prepare lesson plans or copy from the guides.
The DEOs, POs of SSA are requested to not to take up printing of annual/ lesson plans and supply to the Teachers to just follow which is against to the academic spirit of the profession where Teachers stop thinking for original ideas and just copy the things.
They are also requested to take the matter to the notice of the District Collector to stop such un-academic practices and take academic reforms in the form of curriculum and evaluation reforms for effective implementation as per the policy and efforts of the Govt. of Telangana to improve the quality of education. Let make teachers to think themselves and prepare for effective teaching.
Orientation has been given to all the Teachers on preparation of annual and lesson plans. Further, Teacher Handbooks have been provided giving certain model annual and lesson plans @1 per subject. Hands on training on developing the annual/ lesson plans have been taken up during the training programmes. This enables Teachers to start developing lesson plans and achieve expertise in the course of the time.
All the RJDSEs, DEOs, POs of SSA and Principals of DIETs, CTEs, IASEs are requested to supervise the implementation of curricular and evaluation reforms and effective writing of the annual plans and lesson plans and its implementation in the classrooms.
Further, the HMs and other supervisory officers shall review the writing of the annual/ lesson plans by the Teachers on a regular basis. The State Level observation teams also visiting the Districts and observe the schools for effective practices and aspects of teacher preparation and academic reviews by the Headmasters and other supervisory officers. Encl: Annual and lesson plans
*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details