JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship is offered to students who wish to pursue higher studies abroad. This scholarship will provide financial incentives for selected students ranging from One Lakh to Ten Laksh. Tata Endowment Organisation has issued a notification regarding this.
Eligible and interested candidates can check details and apply online on the official website for getting J N Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship for Higher Study Abroad 2020.
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indian nationals at the beginning of their academic year for full-time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral studies/Research Fellowships abroad, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or community.
The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of loan scholarship is determined on the basis of the norms laid down for the purpose and does not cover the full cost of studies. The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All selected scholars do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for a gift scholarship based on their overseas academic performance and partial travel assistance from our allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs.7,50,000/- and the partial travel grant can be a maximum of Rs.50,000/-.
Candidates should be Indian nationals who are graduates of a recognised Indian University and have secured at least 60% in their last academic examination.
Candidates who are at the beginning of the second year of their overseas studies (fall 2020 – spring 2021) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only of the minimum duration, of course, are 2 years.
Candidates in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting results are eligible to apply.
Scholars who have already awarded the J N Tata Endowment loan scholarship cannot apply again for the same course.
Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters at the time of making the application, from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2020-2021. However, they must update the status of their application with the Endowment once they secure admission.
Candidates not older than 45 years as on 30th June 2020, with a good academic record and experience in their fields, specialisation or training may also apply. Candidates going overseas for seminars, conferences and undergraduate studies are not eligible for the J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar. Staying true to our founder Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, we follow a rigorous selection process. Candidates may note the following points:
- Apart from consistent academic performance, we give importance to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our web site on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism.
- After the initial screening of applications, candidates are shortlisted to undergo an online test which will be based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), on Sunday, 12th April, 2020. Timing and other details will be informed accordingly. Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for an interview. Such candidates should upload scanned copies of the required documents on the application form portal in the upload documents section, before the time of the interview.
Candidates should note that to be shortlisted for an interview is no guarantee of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The technical interview, conducted in person at Mumbai or through skype by the Director of the Endowment and a subject expert, from April onwards, carries the most weightage in the selection process. ‘Technical’ refers to the evaluation of candidates’ understanding of their subjects – current and future.
- Candidates should come prepared with knowledge of their subjects and chosen areas of interest with any specialisation, as shown in their application for admission. They will be examined in-depth and detail and greater weight will be given to depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path.
- Candidates at the beginning of the 2nd year would be assessed also on their first year/semester of the overseas studies.
The Final Selection:
The final selection of scholars’ for the award of the loan scholarship is based on the following criteria:
- 1. Performance at the interview;
- 2. Score at the online test;
- 3. Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, research work, statement of purpose and work experience.
All the Awards will be announced together latest by the first week of July by mail. The Trustees’ decision on the award of scholarships is final. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
How to Apply: Candidates may apply through Online mode only: The application forms are available online on our web site. Candidates have to create a login ID and password to be able to apply. Please note that you may create only one Login ID using your email ID. You may directly complete the application form online in one visit or more than one visit but you must remember to save the draft before you exit each time. You may preview the application before submitting it.
Last date to Apply: Application Forms for Fall 2020 – Spring 2021 are now available. Registration for the application forms will be available till 9th March 2020, 12.00 noon. For more details, please visit the official website:
- When can I apply for the Loan Scholarship?
Applications for the Loan Scholarship will be open every year from December/January onwards.
- Can I apply even if I do not have confirmed admission?
Yes, you may apply even if you do not have confirmed admission from the universities you have applied to.
- What is a loan scholarship?
The scholarship is offered at a simple interest of 2% per annum. However, if students repaid the loan within the specified time period (between the end of 3rd and 7thyear), the Trustees may waive the interest.
- What is the maximum loan amount you offer?
The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All applicants do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
- When are the interviews held?
The interviews are held between April and June.