The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme is a pioneering initiative undertaken by the government of Telangana to empower women by providing them with affordable housing options.
This article explores the key aspects of the scheme, its objectives, eligibility criteria, financial assistance, implementation process, and the impact it has on women’s empowerment.
Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme is an innovative program designed to address the housing needs of women from marginalized communities in Telangana.
By granting houses in the names of women and allowing them to choose their own design types, the scheme aims to create a sense of ownership and pride among the beneficiaries.
Gruha Lakshmi scheme
Gruha Lakshmi scheme introduced by the Telangana government was a boon for the poor who dream of constructing a house of their own.
Gruhalakshmi Scheme Objectives
The primary objectives of the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme are:
- To provide affordable housing options to women from marginalized communities.
- To promote gender equality and empower women through homeownership.
- To improve the living conditions and quality of life for women and their families.
- To ensure inclusivity by prioritizing the housing needs of SC, ST, BC, and minority communities.
Eligibility Criteria for Beneficiaries
To be eligible for the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme, beneficiaries must meet certain criteria, including:
- The beneficiary should be a woman from a marginalized community (SC, ST, BC, or minority).
- The beneficiary or any member of her family should possess a valid food security card.
- The beneficiary should have a designated house site for construction purposes.
Gruha Lakshmi Housing Scheme 2023
|Name of the scheme||Gruhalakshmi Scheme 2023|
|Title||Gruha Lakshmi Housing Scheme 2023|
|Subject||Telangana Gruha Lakshmi Scheme 2023|
Gruhalakshmi housing scheme Guidelines
Fast tracking the implementation of housing under the beneficiary led construction mode (BLC), as announced under the Gruhalakshmi Scheme meant for SC, ST, BC and minorities, the State government issued guidelines for selection of beneficiaries and making financial approvals supporting the scheme.
- As per the guidelines, the houses will be sanctioned in the names of women and
- the beneficiaries will be permitted to adopt their own design type to build the house.
- An assistance of Rs 3 lakh each would be extended to build a two-room house with RCC framed structure along with a toilet.
- The Gruhalakshmi logo, as approved by the State government, should be fixed on the houses.
- The beneficiary should have own house site.
- The beneficiary or any other member of her family should have a food security card.
- The list of beneficiaries in each assembly constituency should include not less than 20 per cent SCs, 10 per cent STs and 50 per cent BCs and minorities.
The Telangana State Housing Corporation has proposed to implement the new housing scheme for construction of houses in own sites by providing an assistance of Rs 3 lakh each to construct 4 lakh houses, with not less than 3000 houses in every assembly constituency.
The government had made a budgetary provision of Rs.12000 crore under the scheme for the financial year 2023-24. Of this, Rs 7,350 crore was allotted to the new housing programme in own sites of beneficiaries.
The Collectors will be the nodal officers for implementation of the scheme in the districts. In the GHMC area, the Commissioner will be the nodal officer for Gruhalakhsmi Scheme.
Financial Assistance and Construction Process
- Under the Gruhalakshmi Scheme, eligible beneficiaries receive financial assistance of Rs 3 lakh each to construct a two-room house with an RCC framed structure.
- This assistance aims to make housing affordable and accessible for women from marginalized communities.
- Beneficiaries are permitted to choose their own design types, allowing them to personalize their homes according to their preferences and requirements.
Implementation and Role of Telangana State Housing Corporation
- The Telangana State Housing Corporation plays a pivotal role in the successful implementation of the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme.
- It is responsible for coordinating the selection of beneficiaries, financial approvals, and overall project management.
- The corporation ensures that the allocated budget is efficiently utilized and that the scheme’s objectives are achieved.
Gruha Lakshmi Scheme Details
|Launched By||Government of Telangana|
|Name of Scheme||Gruha Lakshmi Scheme Telangana 2023|
|Objective||To offer some amount of financial assistance for making home|
|Benefits||Rs. 3 lakh Amount for Person|
|Eligibility Criteria||Womens of Dalit society of Telangana|
|No. of houses Built||4 lakh homes|
Budget Allocation and Support
The government of Telangana has allocated a substantial budget for the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme. For the financial year 2023-24, a budgetary provision of Rs. 12,000 crore has been set aside for the scheme.
This significant funding demonstrates the government’s commitment to addressing the housing needs of marginalized women and promoting their empowerment.
Nodal Officers and District Implementation
To ensure effective implementation of the Gruhalakshmi Scheme, district collectors have been appointed as nodal officers in their respective districts.
They are responsible for overseeing the implementation process, coordinating with various stakeholders, and ensuring timely completion of housing projects.
In the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) area, the GHMC Commissioner serves as the nodal officer for the scheme.
Benefits of the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme offers several benefits to women from marginalized communities, including:
- Affordable housing options tailored to their preferences and requirements.
- Empowerment through homeownership, leading to increased social and economic stability.
- Improved living conditions and access to basic amenities.
- Promotion of gender equality and social inclusion.
- Asset creation and wealth accumulation for beneficiaries and their families.
Gruhalakshmi Scheme Guidelines
- Government has released the guidelines of Gruhalakshmi Scheme
- Assistance of Rs.3 lakh per lakh in 3 phases with 100% subsidy for construction of house of poor people who have their own land.
- Selection of beneficiaries at the rate of 3 thousand per constituency under the direction of the Collector.
- This financial assistance is provided in the name of women.
- Must have Food Security Card.
- Permission to build house with own design.
- Assistance to beneficiaries at the rate of 3 thousand per constituency across the state.
- Financial assistance under Griha Lakshmi scheme to 43 thousand people and a total of 4 lakh people in the state reserved quota.
- Collectors and Commissioners act as nodal officers.
- Financial help in the name of women. For this a bank account should be opened in the name of the beneficiary woman.
- The state government has clarified that Jandhan account should not be used.
- Finance for construction of RCC houses with two rooms.
- The government will help in three stages like basement level, roof level and slab of the house.
- Those who have food security card, own land are eligible for this scheme.
- Those who already have RCC houses, those who have benefited under 59 orders are not eligible for this scheme.
Impact on Women Empowerment
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme has a profound impact on women’s empowerment in Telangana. By providing affordable housing options, the scheme improves women’s social status, decision-making power within households, and overall quality of life.
Homeownership through the scheme enables women to gain a sense of independence, security, and pride in owning their own homes.
Challenges and Solutions
The implementation of such a large-scale housing scheme comes with its fair share of challenges. Some common obstacles include land acquisition, ensuring equal representation, and effective utilization of funds.
To address these challenges, the government must streamline land acquisition processes, strengthen beneficiary selection mechanisms, and conduct regular audits to ensure transparency and accountability.
Success Stories and Real-Life Experiences
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme has witnessed numerous success stories, where women from marginalized communities have been able to construct their own houses and transform their lives.
These success stories highlight the positive impact of the scheme on women’s empowerment, economic stability, and overall well-being. Real-life experiences demonstrate the transformative power of affordable housing and the opportunities it creates for women and their families.
Gruhalakshmi Scheme FAQs
What is the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme?
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme is an initiative by the government of Telangana that aims to provide affordable housing options to women from marginalized communities. The scheme allows eligible beneficiaries to receive financial assistance and construct their own houses according to their preferences.
Who is eligible to benefit from the scheme?
Women from marginalized communities, including Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Backward Classes (BC), and minorities, are eligible to benefit from the Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme. They must possess a food security card and have their own house site for construction.
How much financial assistance is provided under the Gruhalakshmi Scheme?
Under the Gruhalakshmi Scheme, each beneficiary is provided with financial assistance of Rs 3 lakh. This amount is intended to support the construction of a two-room house with an RCC framed structure and a toilet.
Can beneficiaries choose their own design types for their houses?
Yes, beneficiaries of the Gruhalakshmi Scheme have the freedom to choose their own design types for the construction of their houses. This personalized approach allows them to create homes that align with their preferences and requirements.
What is the role of the Telangana State Housing Corporation in implementing the scheme?
The Telangana State Housing Corporation plays a crucial role in implementing the Gruhalakshmi Scheme. It is responsible for coordinating the selection of beneficiaries, providing financial approvals, and overseeing the overall implementation process. The corporation ensures that the allocated budget is effectively utilized and the scheme's objectives are achieved in a timely manner.
The Gruhalakshmi Housing Scheme stands as a testament to the government of Telangana’s commitment to empowering women through affordable housing.
By providing financial assistance and support, the scheme addresses the housing needs of women from marginalized communities, promoting gender equality, and social inclusion.
The scheme’s impact on women’s empowerment goes beyond providing shelter-it creates opportunities for personal growth, economic stability, and a brighter future.