Instructions on Reducing the Weight of School Bag in Primary, Upper Primary, High Schools in all States. The Ministry of Human Resource Development has instructed all the State and Union Territories to formulate guidelines to regulate the teaching of subjects and weight of school bags in accordance with the Government of India instructions. Therefore all the Schools under the Department of Education is hereby directed to strictly comply with the following instruction with immediate effect.
MHRD Ministry has given instruction to all States and Union Territories on No homework policy moderated weight of school bags. Ministry of Human Resource Development, MHRD has instructed all states and Union Territories to create guidelines for the teaching of all subjects.
In the letter accessed, the MHRD vide letter dated October 5, 2018, with D.O.No.1-4/2018-IS-3, has asked all ‘formulate guidelines to regulate the teaching of subjects and weight of school bags according to Indian Government instructions.’ Accordingly, the weight of the bags along with the homework has to be moderated. Following the instructions, Lakshwadeep Administration has instructed the Department of Education to follow strict instructions. As per the circular,
1. Classes I to II are to strictly follow a no-homework policy.
2. Schools have also been instructed to prescribe only languages and mathematics for Classes I and II, Language, EVS and Mathematics for Classes III to V as prescribed by NCERT.
3. The weight of the school bag should be 1.5 Kg for Classes I and II, 2 to 3 kg for Classes III to V, 4 kg for classes VI to VII, 4.5 kg for Classes VIII and IX and 5 kg for Class X.
Instructions on Reducing the Weight of School Bag:
1. Homework shall not be assigned to all the students of class I and II
2. School should not prescribe any other subject except Language and Mathematics for class I and II and Language, EVS and Mathematics for Class III to V students as prescribed by the NCERT.
3. Students should not ask to bring additional books; extra materials and the weight of the school bag not exceed the following limit
Weight of School Bag for each Class
a. Class I -II – 1.5 kg
b. Class III-V – 2.3 Kg
c. Class VI and VII – 4 Kg
d. Class VIII and IX – 4.5 Kg
e. Class X -5 kg