National Fellowship for OBC Students 2022. The UGC has been implementing the scheme of National Fellowship (NF) for Other Backward Classes (OBC) as entrusted & funded by Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India, New Delhi. The scheme is open to candidates who belong to Other Backward Classes (OBC) and are pursuing higher studies such as regular and full time M.Phil. and Ph.D degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology.
There are 1000 slots for award of fellowship every year for all the subjects for consideration of application received through On-line submission from research scholar belonging to OBC category. There is a provision of 3% reservation for slots for consideration of award of fellowship to research scholars for Persons with Disability (PwD) who belongs to OBC category.
Government of India had launched a Central Sector Scheme namely, National Fellowship for OBC Students during the financial year 2014-15 to increase the opportunities for the students of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) for pursuing higher education leading to acquiring degrees such as M.Phil. and Ph.D. The scheme aims at providing financial assistance to the OBC students in obtaining quality higher education leading to degrees such as M.Phil. and Ph.D. in universities, research institutions and scientific institutions.
This will not only enable them to be eligible for employment to the posts of Lecturers lying vacant in various colleges and universities but will also equip them to effectively take advantage of the growing opportunities at the national and international level in the context of new economic order. Target Group: Unemployed OBC Candidates who have passed the Post Graduate examination in concerned subject and who desire to pursue full-time research without JRF of UGC-NET or UGC-CSIR NET.
|Name of the Fellowship||UGC Fellowship to BC Students 2022|
|Title||UGC Fellowship to OBC Students 2022|
|Subject||National Fellowship to OBC Students 2022|
|Number of OBC Fellowships||1000 JRFs per year|
|UGC Schemes Web Portal||https://www.ugc.ac.in/ugc_schemes/|
|Read the Guidelines||UGC National Fellowship for OBC Students|
Objective: The scheme has been initiated keeping in view the social other backward classes (OBC) candidates of the society and to provide them opportunity to undertake advanced studies and research. The objective of this award is to provide fellowships in the form of financial assistance to unemployed students belonging to OBC to pursue higher studies leading to M.Phil and Ph.D degrees (full-time) in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology, in Indian Universities/Institutions/ Colleges approved under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act. and in Non-Universities/Institutions.
The scheme is designed to provide a total number of 300 Junior Research Fellowships per year from the year 2014-15 and 300 Senior Research Fellowships from 2016-17 to Other Backward Class (OBC) students. The number of intake of JRF has been enhanced from 300 to 1000 per year onwards to undertake advanced studies and research leading to M.Phil./Ph.D. Degrees, who have qualified in the following tests: i. National Eligibility Test ) – Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) of UGC (for Humanities/Social Sciences) or ii. UGC-Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-CSIR) NET-JRF Joint Test (for Science).
The scheme covers all universities/institutions recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and are implemented by the UGC itself on the pattern of the scheme of UGC Fellowship being awarded to research students pursuing M.Phil. and Ph.D. These 1000 slots will be over and above the number of OBC students selected under the normal reservation policy of the Government for UGC Fellowship.
Eligibility for Fellowship for OBC Students
- Eligibility conditions are as per notification for UGC-NET and CSIR-UGC-NET examinations. The other Backward Class (OBC) candidates qualifying for the award of NFOBC will be eligible to receive fellowship subject to finding placement in the University/IITs/Institutions.
- The validity period of the offer is 3 years with effect from the date of issue of JRF Award letter. However, in case of candidates who have already joined M/Phil. /Ph.D. the date of commencement of fellowship shall be from the date of declaration of result of NFOBC or date of their joining, whichever is later.
- Students belonging to Other Backward Class (OBC) category once considered eligible for the fellowship shall not be entitled to any other benefits from Central or State Government or any other body like UGC offering similar benefit to avoid duplication and increase coverage.
- Only those, doing regular and full time M./Phil. /Ph.D. course of a University/research Institution shall be eligible for the fellowship.
- After two years, if the progress in the research work of the awardee is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended for a further period of three years as Senior Research Fellow (SRF). The research work will be assessed as per the UGC norms. The total period of award of JRF and SRF shall not exceed a period of 5 years.
- At least 4% of the total seats should be reserved for students with disabilities while making selection of candidates for award of fellowships by the UGC. v. Employees of any University/College/Educational institution/Central/State/UT Government shall be excluded from availing the fellowship, even if they are on study leave or Extra Ordinary Leave (EOL) to pursue M.Phil./Ph.D.
Number of slots for OBC Fellowship:
The total number of slots for NFOBC under the scheme is 1000 per year. Out of 1000 slots available under this scheme, 750 will be allocated for the subjects under National Eligibility Test – Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) of UGC and remaining 250 UGC-Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-CSIR) NET-JRF joint test (for Science streams). These 1000 slots will be over and above the OBC Students selected under the normal reservation policy of the Government.
Duration of OBC Fellowship
The tenure of the fellowship is for five years and will be effective from 1st April of the selection year or the actual date of joining under the fellowship in the University/College/Institute, whichever is later. Fellowship will be granted up to the date of submission of Ph.D. Thesis or 5 years of tenure whichever is earlier. No extension is permissible beyond the total period of five years, and the fellow ceases to be a UGC research fellow immediately after expiry of the due date.
The tenure of fellowship is initially for two years under the NF-OBC Scheme. Before expiry of this period, the work of the Fellow will be evaluated by a Committee of three members comprising of Head of the Department, Supervisor and one outside subject expert to be constituted by the concerned Department of the /University/Institution/College.
If the research work is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended further for a period of three years under the enhanced emoluments of the National Senior Research Fellowship (NSRF). The upgradation of fellowship from JRF to SRF will have to made at the level of university/institution/college itself based on recommendation of the Three members committee report (Annexure-VI).
Thereafter such upgradation of fellowship in respect of awardee may be intimated to the identified Agency for further action. The work done and the time spent on scholarships or fellowships of any agency other than the UGC will not be taken into account while considering the proposals for enhancement in the value of fellowship. The fellowship may be withdrawn if the work is not considered satisfactory or the candidate fails in any of the examinations related to Ph.D.
In case the work for the first two years is not found satisfactory, an additional year will be given to him/her for improvement. However, during this period he/she will be designated as National Junior Research Fellow. In such cases work will be evaluated again before third year of the tenure, and if improvement is found, the Fellow will get two more years under the NSRF. Thus, the total period of fellowship (NJRF and NSRF) is for five years, with no further provision of extension. However if the same is not found satisfactory, the fellow will continue to draw fellowship on JRF rates till the remaining period of tenure.
|M.Phil.||2 Years Or date of submission of dissertation, whichever is earlier||2 Years||Nil|
|Ph.D||5 Years Or date of submission of dissertation, whichever is earlier||2 Years||Remaining 3 Years|
|M.Phil. + Ph.D.||5 Years Or date of submission of dissertation, whichever is earlier||2 Years||Remaining 3 Years|
OBC Fellowship Amount
Other facilities such as medical facilities, leave including maternity leave will be governed as per the guidelines of the UGC in case of their fellowship programme. The rate of fellowship for JRF and SRF will be at par with the UGC fellowship as amended from time to time. The candidate would be eligible for following financial assistance. So, presently these rates are as follows.
|Fellowship in Science Humanities and Social Science||@ Rs.31,000/- p.m. for initial two years (JRF)|
|Fellowship in Engineering & Technology||@ Rs.35,000/- pm. for remaining tenure (SRF)|
|Contingency for Humanities & Social Sciences||@ Rs.10,000/- p.a. for initial two years|
@ Rs.20,500/- p.a. for remaining tenure
|Contingency for Sciences, Engineering & Technology||@ Rs.12,000/- p.a. for initial two years |
@ Rs.25,000/- p.a. for remaining tenure
|Escorts/Reader assistance (All subjects)||@ Rs.2,000/- p.m. in cases of physically and visually handicapped candidate|
House Rent Allowance (HRA)
The House Rent Allowance (HRA) will be on the UGC pattern and will be payable to those students who are not provided with hostel accommodation. In case hostel accommodation offered by the University/institution is refused, the student will forfeit his claim of HRA, other facilities such as medical facilities, leave including maternity leave will be governed as per the guidelines of the UGC in case of their fellowship programme.
Selection Procedure for National Fellowship for OBCs (JRF)
- UGC is the nodal agency for implementing the scheme.
- The selection for the award of NFOBC to students will be made on the basis of merit in each UGC-NET-JRF and CSIR-NET-JRF examination and will be made twice in a year.
- However, preference will be given to such students who have secured admission. In case sufficient such candidates are not available, candidates who have not secured admission will also be selected in the order of merit in the NET examination.
- A separate merit list would be drawn up for such candidates, if required.
- The qualified candidates have to enroll in universities/institutions/colleges recognized under:
- Under Sections 2 (f) of the UGC Act, 1956, i.e., Universities established under Central, Provincial or State Acts or any other institution recognized by UGC.
- Grant-in-Aid Deemed Universities under Section 3 of UGC Act, i.e., institution for higher education notified by Central Government to be deemed University, in consultation with UGC.
- Universities/Institution funded by State/ Central Government.
- Institutions of National Important as notified as by Ministry of Human Resource Development. (mhrd.gov.in/institutions-national-importance).
- The decision of the UGC in regarding to awarding the fellowship shall be final and no appeal could be filed against it.
How to submit the OBC Fellowship Online Application 2022?
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has released the National Fellowship notification and apply for grant fellowships to OBC students under the National Fellowship for BC students (NFOBC) scheme. Candidates can apply online through the official website of UGC, ugc.ac.in. Candidates can apply for a total of 1000 slots of the OBC fellowship. For applying for National Fellowship for OBC students can follow the below given simple steps.
- Visit the ugc.nic.in Website
Candidates need to visit the official website of University Grants Commission (UGC), ugc.nic.in website in your device browser.
- Click on the View All button
Once you reach the official website, click on the View All Button at Scholarship/Fellowships section on the home page.
- Click on See Details Info button
After clicking on that link, e-Scholarship-Fellowship Award Registration Tracking System web page will appear. Now under the fellowship tab, look for ‘National Fellowship for OBC students’ and click on ‘See details info’ button.
- Click on Apply Now Link
After clicking on that link, National Fellowship for OBC students web portal will appear. In this web page, click on ‘Apply Now’ link.
- Register Yourself
After clicking on that link, a new registration web page will appear and register yourself by giving basic details.
- Fill the Application Form
After completion of registration process, now fill in all the essential details and complete the application form.
- Download the Application Form
After filled in the application form, click on the submit button. Then, application form would be submitted and save it for future reference.
*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details, and we are not responsible for anything
12th Model Paper 2023 | 10th Model Paper 2023 | Model Paper 2023 | Scholarship- Fellowship | JNVST Result 2023 | LI9 | Sample Paper 2023 | Board Paper 2023 | Sample Paper 2023 | EDPOST | 10th Model Question Paper 2023 | Model Paper 2023 | JNANABHUMIAP | Board Model Paper 2023 |