SSA Guidelines on Strengthening Libraries in Schools, TEIs, Strengthen School, College libraries for development of students knowledge, Self-learning ability.
Make the libraries functional effectively in Schools and Teacher Education Institutions. DSE Telangana, Rc.No.38,Dated: 01.07.2016, Sub: SCERT, Telangana, Hyderabad – Strengthening of libraries in Schools and Teacher Education Institutions in the State and making them operational effectively – Guidelines issued – Reg.
All the District Educational Officers, Project Officers of SSA and the Principals of DIETs, CTEs, and IASEs in the State are informed that the Department has decided to strengthen the school and college libraries for the development of students knowledge and to develop the ability of self-learning. The school/college library plays an important role in developing quality education. The library as a learning resource center is an integral part of the school.
In this connection, certain guidelines are hereby communicated for making the libraries operational in Schools and Teacher Education Institutions. Therefore, they are requested to bestow their personal attention and follow the guidelines and make the libraries functional effectively in Schools and Teacher Education Institutions. Further, DEOs and POs of SSA are requested to issue necessary instructions to all Headmasters of Primary, Upper Primary and High Schools along with the guidelines.
Guidelines for making libraries functional “Library as a learning resource centre” School/ institution is a gateway to knowledge and plays an important role in building up a Love for reading. The school library is integral to this educational process. Encouraged at the right age, the children are sure to develop a love for books. “Catch em Young” is therefore the motto of the school libraries.
According to IFLA/ UNESCO School Library Manifesto, “the school library provides information and ideas that are fundamental to functioning successfully in today’s information and knowledge-based society. The school library equips students with life-long learning skills and develops the imagination enabling them to live as responsible citizens”.
1. Designating one Teacher/ Lecturer as In-charge Librarian for a period of one year.
2. Constitute class-wise Library Committees
a. With five (5) students of the concerned class.
b. Class Teacher should lead the committee.
c. In-charge Librarian should conduct review meetings with Class Library Committees and Class Teacher on monthly basis.
3. Constitute School Library Committee (SLC)
a. Head of the institute act as Chairman of the School Library Committee.
b. In-charge Librarian act as Secretary for School Library Committee.
c. SMC Chairman is also a Member of the School Library Committee.
d. Class Teacher one from each section/ class are Members.
e. Student representatives one from section/ class
4. Provide separate room for library and if it is not possible, provide a facility in the staff room or lab room in the institution.
5. The library should be kept open in the school/ college hours (10.00 AM to 04.00 PM]
6. Guidelines for purchase of library books, journals, periodicals, newspapers etc.
a. Resolution of School Library Committee for purchase of books.
b. Approved by the SMC for purchase of books. Countersigned by the MEO/ Dy.EO/ Principal.
7. Maintenance of Library Records
a. Purchase Register
b. Stock Register
c. Separate Register for donated books, journals, periodicals, weekly, monthly, etc.
d. Issue Register for students (class-wise) and Teachers separately.
e. Daily Attendance Register (Gate Register).
f. Book Review Registers for languages and other subjects separately by the subject Register for the use of CCE.
g. Library Activity Register- To record all the activities that are taken from the library. Ex: seminars, debates, elocution competitions, etc.
8. Allocation of one period for library per class per week (Reading and referencing).
9. Approaching MLCs, MLAs, MPs community, NGOs, philanthropists etc. for procuring furniture, books, journals, periodicals, weekly, monthly magazines etc.
10. Naming the library on the name of the person who donates Rs.2.00 lakhs and above for library development.
11. Conduct of Library Week on the eve of S.R. Ranganathan’s Birthday on 12th August onwards. A separate schedule will be given.
12. Collection of yesterday/ last week newspapers, books, magazines, etc. from donors in the locality- by the students for developing educational albums and also developing TLM.
13. Utilization of Library Book Banks from public libraries- by the Library Committee.
14. Utilize the ‘Read to Room’ program for the library.
15. Used Textbooks collected from outgoing students shall be preserved in the library- HM/ Principal.