Rc.45 EZVidya Implementation of ‘CreatetoInspire’ Environmentalproject in 200 Government schools having classes 6th to 8th in the academic year 2015-16. The Microsoft Create to Inspire SchoolProgram is a thought leadership initiative for schools on environmentally sustainable living.
Rc.45 Implementation of ‘Create to Inspire’ Environmental project in 200 Government schools having classes 6th to 8th in the academic year 2015-16
Proceedings of the State Project Director Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan,Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad
- EZ Vidya is India’s premier education research and innovation organization focused on delivering quality holistic education in Indian schools.
- EZ Vidya is acknowledged as a ‘Thought Leader’ in education by regulatory bodies in the field of education such as CBSE, Ministry of Education in several states.
SSA, A.P., Hyderabad – Pedagogy – EZ Vidya – Implementation of ‘Create to Inspire’ Environmental project in 200 Government schools having classes 6th to Sth in the academic year 2015-16 in select Districts / towns in Andhra Pradesh -Reg.
- Project proposal dated: 22.06.2015 received from EZ Vidya, Kamdar Nagar, Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamilnadu.
The District Educational Officers, the Project Officers of SSA and the Principals of DIETs in the Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, Krishna, Nellore and Kumool are informed that SSA in collaboration with “EZ Vidya” a leading Chennai based expert in Education proposes to implement ‘Create to Inspire’ Environmental project partnering with Microsoft CSR programme for 200 Government schools having classes 6th to 8th in selected towns of Visakhapatnam, Kakinada, Vijayawada, Nellore & Kurnool in the academic year 2015-16. The project entails centralized workshops for selected teachers in the above cities.
The main focus of the program is training of the teachers on environmental education and thereby impacting the students indirectly.
The main objectives are :
- To train and sensitize Teachers on various environmental issues and sustainable lifestyle practices; 2.To introduce 21st Century skills & pedagogics;
- To orient teachers on 14 environmental projects to be implemented by the students;
- To help teachers to conduct these projects in their respective schools and
- To showcase the projects done by the students in a centralized location.
The features & plan of the programme:
The programme is designed into 14 projects which cover various aspects of environmental education such as
a) Valuing Bio-diversity,
b) Mimiking Nature,
c) Turn off & save on,
d) Demystifying Carbon Footprint,
e) Design for Environment,
f) Think Before buying,
g)The journey of waste unpacking,
h)The packing waste,
i) E- Awareness,
j) Be ‘Fuel’ish or be smart,
k) Green Job in every job,
l) Be a petitioner – For a cause,
m) water conservation, and
n) Go organic.
It consists of 4 phases which includes training the teachers on the projects, showcasing the projects and finally felicitation of teachers and the schools.
Project Phase -I: Training workshop:
During this phase EZ Vidya would conduct half a day training workshop for the teachers on how to conduct the 14 projects.
The training workshop would cover the following:
- Training on environmental sustainability
- 21st century skills & pedagogies
- How to implement the 14 projects amongst the students
Timeline: September 2015
Project Phase- II : Showcase workshop :
Once the teachers have implemented a minimum of 2 projects, EZ Vidya would invite the teachers for a showcase workshop & training.
The showcase workshop would cover the following:
- Teachers explaining the projects implemented.
- Clarifying the doubts of the teachers in implementing projects.
- Collaborative discussions amongst the teachers and the Facilitator.
- Project plan to implement rest of the projects
Timeline: October 2015 – November 2015
Project Phase III : Follow-up :
EZ Vidya would be following up with the teachers and guiding them to implement the projects. The follow-up could be by telephone calls, E-mails and also personal visits if necessary.
The follow-up plan would cover the following:
- Guiding the teachers on implementing the projects.
- Clarifying teachers’ doubts wherever necessary.
- Participating in the project implementation wherever possible.
- Updating the Educational Officers about the project progress.
Timeline: November 2015 – December 2015
Project Phase IV : Felicitation workshop:
During this phase Microsoft & EZ Vidya would jointly felicitate the teachers who have participated in the program. Certificates would be given to the teachers in the following categories –
participation certificate for teachers who have done 4 projects and completion certificate for teachers who have done 8 projects. Apart from the above schools would also get certificates in various categories
Time line: January, 2016
The duration of the project period is proposed to 4 months. The commencement of project can be in September 2015 and ending by January 2016. The Program will be coordinated by Sri. N. Srinivas. Academic Monitoring Team, SPO, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan . He can be contacted on Ph. No.7702775I37 ,E.Mail ID :email@example.com.On behalf of EZ Vidya Sri Abhilash Anandan, Programme Manager, will he the Nodal person coordinating the programme implementation.
He can be reached on Ph .N0.09940227319 and E.Mailfirstname.lastname@example.org The above two persons may be contacted for any further clarification.
Therefore, the District Educational Officers and Project Officers of SSA in the Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, Krishna, Nellore, and Kumool are requested to identify (40) Govt. schools having classes from 6th to 8th and nominate 40 teachers ,who teach natural Science from each district @ one teacher from each school to participate in the above said project/programme in district in the academic year 2015-16 and furnish the details of the schools, number of students and list of selected teachers.
Microsoft Create to Inspire School Programme:
Create to Inspire School Program: The Microsoft Create to Inspire School Programme builds the capacity of teachers and provides them a framework to engage with students on the themes of Energy, E-waste, Transportation, Water and Bio-diversity.
The primary objectives of this program are:
- Develop capacities and competence of teachers to enroll, engage and inspire students to take actions on sustainable lifestyles and environment protection.
- Lay the foundation for students to become potential change agents who reach out to the community and engage with them on sustainable living via inspirational campaigns and activities.
- Inculcating the idea of lifecycle thinking into students and teachers minds.
In 2014, the program is targeting over 1700 schools in more than 15 cities, building the capacity of over 2500 teachers and engaging more than 500,000 students directly. The School Programme runs with the help of over 30 Ecosystem partners including government departments, institutions and NGOs.
The case study below should help shed some light on the work done in the previous edition of the School Programme in Delhi: Every participating school nominated 1-2 teachers for the program. We conducted capacity building workshops for teachers and provided them with toolkits to guide and assist them in becoming a harbinger of environmental awareness and change. The tool kit comprised of a set of 10 engagement activities. The teachers discussed and debated the environmental topics with students and conducted the 10 activities which ranged from creating short environmental films, conducting street plays, engaging with local shops, conducting waste, water and energy audits, and carrying e-waste collection drives.
An activity on electronic waste e.g. resulted in collection and recycling of 5 tons of e-waste including 1800 dead mobile phones, and other IT equipment. Water and energy audits were done in over 100 schools, over 20 short environmental films were created by the students, and most schools engaged their neighbouring colonies and markets. The program engaged over 60,000 school students via teachers and many more people via students.