Government of Andhra Pradesh, School Education Department, A.P. Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, Hyderabad – Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (KGBVs) – Conversion of all KGBVs into English Medium in the State of Andhra Pradesh – Orders – Issued
From the C & DSE & SPD., SSA., A.P., Hyderabad Lr.No.637/APSSA/KGBV/A10/215, dated 25.02.2015.
In accordance with the provisions of the RTE Act, the Government of India started 352 KGBVs in Residential mode upto Upper Primary Level with a view to enhance access and impart quality education to the girls of disadvantaged groups, predominantly belonging to SC, ST, OBC and Minorities of difficult areas and who are Out of School / Urban Deprived / Single Parent Girl Children. Subsequently, classes were extended up to X class by State Government, so as to arrest drop out of Girl Children after VIII class.
- Out of 352 KGBVs, in 18 schools the medium of instruction in English was commenced from VI to X classes enrolled with Minority Girl Children in the year 2007-08 and the same is being continued. The balance of 334 KGBVs are imparting education in Telugu Medium. The 2464 teachers were engaged in KGBVs @ of 7 teachers, ie., CRTs (Contract Residential Teachers) positioned in each of the KGBVs for all the subjects ie., Telugu / Urdu, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Physical Science, Bio-Science and Social Studies. The CRTs employed in these institutions belong to Telugu Medium and did not have any exposure to English Medium. However, on their own interest and persuasion by higher officers, they learnt and practiced teaching the subjects in English.
- Further, Government observed and noticed that girl children studying in KGBVs should be imparted with communication skills in English Language and felt that these girl children need to be equipped with necessary skills in English so as to enable them to compete with their peers in their future academic pursuits.
- Accordingly, Keeping in view of majority opinions, the State Project Director, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, A.P., Hyderabad vide reference read above, has requested the Government for conversion of all KGBVs into English medium schools.
- After careful examination of the matter, Government hereby accord permission to the State Project Director, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, A.P., Hyderabad to convert all the 334 KGBVs as English Medium KGBVs from 6th to 8th classes in the State of Andhra Pradesh from the academic year 2015-16.
- The State Project Director, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, A.P., Hyderabad shall take further necessary action accordingly.
Download GO.23 from here