KGBV Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Scheme for Girls Education

KGBV Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Scheme for Girls Education, Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) is a scheme launched in July 2004, for setting up residential schools at upper primary level for girls belonging predominantly to the SC, ST, OBC and minority communities.

The scheme is being implemented in educationally backward blocks of the country where the female rural literacy is below the national average and gender gap in literacy is above the national average. The scheme provides for a minimum reservation of 75% of the seats for girls belonging to SC, ST, OBC or minority communities and priority for the remaining 25%, is accorded to girls from families below poverty line.  

Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya – Telangana State: Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) is a scheme launched, for setting up residential schools for girls at upper primary level belonging to the SC, ST, OBC and minority communities. This scheme is being implemented across the state where the female rural literacy is below the national average and gender gap in literacy is above the national average.

The scheme provides for a minimum reservation of 75% of the seats for girls belonging to SC, ST, OBC or minority communities and priority for the remaining 25%, to girls from families below the poverty line  

Objectives: Gender disparities persist even today in rural areas and among disadvantaged communities. The enrolment trends indicate that there remain significant gaps in the enrolment of girls at the elementary level as compared to boys, especially at the upper primary levels. The objective of KGBV is to ensure access and quality education to the girls of disadvantaged groups of society by setting up residential schools at upper primary level.  

Facilities at KGBVS

1. Free Textbooks & Uniforms
2. Residential Schooling
3. Individual Attention
4. Support to the Educationally Backward Children
5. Medical Facility
6. Continuous Evaluation
7. Vocational Training & guidance
8. All-round development

The Scheme of the KGBV ran as a separate scheme but in harmony with the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level(NPEGEL) and Mahila Samakya(MS) for two years, but has since 1st April 2007 merged with the SSA program as a separate component of the program.

The scheme is being implemented in 27 States/UTs namely: Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Dadar & Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and West Bengal.

2578 KGBVs were sanctioned by the Government of India to date. Of these, 427 KGBVs have been sanctioned in Muslim concentration blocks, 612 in ST blocks, 688 in SC blocks.

As on 31st January, 2009, 2423 KGBVs are reported to be functional (i.e.94%) in the States and 1,90,404 girls enrolled in them (50,630 SC girls (27%); 58,682 ST girls (31%); 50,161 OBC girls (26%); 18,206 BPL girls (9%); 12,725 Minority girls (7%). Out of the total 2578 sanctioned KGBVs, 547 KGBVs have been constructed + 1262 are in progress and 769 have not been started.

The Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya scheme is merged with Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan in the XIth Plan with effect from 1st April, 2007. Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya Scheme for Girls Education.

The National Evaluation of the KGBV scheme was undertaken between 29th January to 20th February 2007 in 12 States of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Orissa, with 12 independent experts in girls education and another joint Evaluation of NPEGEL & KGBV scheme was also undertaken between 19th November to 14th December, 2007 in States of Assam, Manipur, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Haryana, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Meghalaya, West Bengal, Mizoram, Tripura and Dadar & Nagar Haveli.

Scope/Coverage of the Scheme:
The scheme would be applicable only in those identified Educationally Backward Blocks (EBBs) where, as per census data of 2001, the rural female literacy is below the national average and gender gap in literacy is more than the national average.

Among these blocks, schools may be set up in areas with concentration of tribal population, with low female literacy and/or a large number of girls out of school; concentration of SC, OBC and minority populations, with low female literacy and/ or a large number of girls out of school; areas with low female literacy; or areas with a large number of small, scattered habitations that do not qualify for a school. The criteria for eligible EBB will be the same as in the NPEGEL scheme of SSA

Objective:
Gender disparities still persist in rural areas and among disadvantaged communities. Looking at enrolment trends, there remain significant gaps in the enrolment of girls at the elementary level as compared to boys, especially at the Upper Primary levels. The objective of KGBV is to ensure access and quality education to the girls of disadvantaged groups of society by setting up residential schools with boarding facilities at the elementary level.

Strategies 
Between 500 to 750 residential schools will be opened in a phased manner over the Xth Plan period at an estimated cost of Rs. 19.05 lakh as recurring cost and Rs. 26.25 lakh as non-recurring cost, per school.  Initially, the proposed schools shall be opened in rented or other available Government buildings after deciding the location.

Such residential schools will be set up only in those backward blocks that do not have residential schools for the elementary education of girls under any other scheme of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Ministry of Tribal Affairs.

This shall be ensured by the district level authority of SSA at the time of actual district level planning of KGBV initiatives by coordinating with the other Departments/Ministries.  A list of the educational complexes being run by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs is enclosed for facilitating the selection of KGBV.

Check more details from here

*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details, and we are not responsible for anything

12th Model Paper 2022 | 10th Model Paper 2022 | Model Paper 2022 | eKalyan ePass | 192.168.0.1 | Scholarship- Fellowship | JNVST Result 2021 | LI9 | Sample Paper 2022 | Board Paper 2022 | Sample Paper 2022 | EDPOST | BLOGSS | 10th Model Question Paper 2022 | Model Paper 2022 | JNANABHUMIAP | Board Model Paper 2022 | 99 Networks | 25 Penny | BSNL TeleServices | 99 Employee | Refrigeration Pedia|

Leave a Comment