Ministry of Education virtually launched the Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2022 or SVP 2022. The award will recognise, inspire and award the schools who have undertaken exemplary work in the field of water, sanitation, and hygiene and also provides a benchmark and roadmap for schools to make further improvements in the future. Interested schools can apply by March 2022.
At the national level, 40 schools will be selected for awards this year under the overall category. Selected schools will be awarded Rs 50,000 to Rs 60,000 per school, under Samagra Shiksha scheme. There will be six sub-category wise awards with award money of Rs 20,000 per school. The sub-categories include water, sanitation, handwashing with soap, operation and maintenance, behaviour change and capacity building, and the newly added category on COVID- 19 preparedness and response.
The SVP 2021-22 is open to all categories of schools i.e., government, government-aided and private schools across the country. The schools will be assessed through an online portal and mobile app in the six above-mentioned sub-categories and the system will generate the overall score and rating automatically.
|Name of the Award||Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar 2022|
|Title||Apply for the Swachh Vidyalaya Award 2022|
|Subject||MoE released Swachh Vidyalay Award 2022 notification|
Schools will be awarded at the district, state, and national level based on an internationally recognized five-star rating system. Every school will get a certificate of participation showing the category-wise scores and overall rating of the school. This will help in promoting sustainable practices of improved water, sanitation and hygiene in schools.
In order to create self-motivation and awareness about sanitation the Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar (SVP) was first instituted by the department of school education and literacy, in 2016-17, the official notice read. While launching the awards, Sarkar highlighted the importance of water, sanitation, and hygiene in schools as it plays a significant role in determining the health of students, their attendance, dropout rate, and learning outcomes. The provision of water, sanitation, and hygiene facilities in schools secures a healthy school environment and protects children from illness (including COVID- 19) and exclusion.
The Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar is instituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India to recognize, inspire and celebrate excellence in sanitation and hygiene practice in Schools. The explicit purpose of the awards is to honor schools that have undertaken significant steps towards fulfilling the mandate of the Swachh Vidyalaya Campaign. SVP is recognizing excellence in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in School.
Objective: To recognize, inspire and celebrate excellence in sanitation, water and hygiene practice in schools and to sustain good practices. Its explicit purpose is to honor schools that have undertaken significant steps towards fulfilling the mandate of the Swachh Vidyalaya Campaign.
Methodology: School Headmasters shall self-nominate themselves based on an online questionnaire available on the official website of MHRD or through Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar mobile app
Schools that are interested in being contenders for this award can apply for the same from the official website (swachhvidyalaya.com). Government schools, government-aided schools and private schools in both rural and urban areas are eligible for this award.
It was initiated in 2016 to “recognize, inspire and celebrate excellence in sanitation and hygiene practice in schools”. Schools that have taken “significant steps” for fulfilling the campaign will be honored through this award.
The school which have gained at least two stars out of five in adherence to norms are eligible for the award and will be judges on the categories of water, toilets, handwashing with soap, operation and maintenance, behavior change and capacity building. The awards would be presented at the district, state/union territory and national levels.
The awards will be open to (a) Government and aided schools; and (b) Private schools, in both rural and urban areas. The performance of the schools will be evaluated under the following categories
- Handwashing with Soap
- Operations and Maintenance
- Behavior Change and Capacity Building.
The performance of the schools against the categories will be scored and schools would be given a rating as below
|90% – 100% of the Norms||*****||Excellent Keep it up!!|
|75%- 89% adherence to the Norms||****||Very good|
|51% – 74% adherence to the Norms||***||Good; but there is a scope for improvement|
|35% – 50% adherence to Norms||**||Fair ; needs improvement|
|Below 35% adherence to the Norms||*||Poor ; needs considerable improvement|
* Each school should score a minimum of two Star ratings in each of the Sub-categories in order to be eligible for any award.
The awards are categorized at the District Level, State/UT Level, and National Level. MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
District Level Awards
(i) District level Awards: Open to All five star, four-star and three-star rated Schools Online (web/ mobile) applications received before the cut-off date will be screened by a District level Committee headed by the District Collector (or her/his appointee) and comprising of District Education officer, three eminent school teachers, Superintendent Engineer (Water supply / Ph.D.), District Health Officer and two members from civil society organizations/NGOs.
RURAL: Three Elementary and Three Secondary schools having the highest overall score with rating not below three Star will be selected for the District level Award (Total 6). In addition, six schools( three elementary and three secondary) having the highest score in each of the Sub Categories with rating not below five stars in the subcategory will be selected for sub-category wise awards at the district level(Total 30)
URBAN: a) Two schools ( one elementary and one secondary)having the highest overall score with rating not below three Star will be selected for the District level Award (Total 2). b) In addition, two schools(one elementary and one secondary) having the highest score in each of the Sub Categories with rating not below five stars in the sub-category will be selected for sub-category awards at the district level (Total 10). MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
The district-level committee may get a physical verification of the nominated schools done by a team consisting of school teachers and students in the district. The verification would be done using a checklist and by taking photographs.
Each of the selected schools with a highest overall score (Total 8) and each of the schools having the highest score under each sub-category (Total 40) will be awarded certificate of recognition at the district level, provided that all the schools with an overall rating of five stars would be awarded a certificate of Recognition.
State Level Awards or UT Level Awards
(ii) State/UT Level Awards: Open for five stars and four Star Rated Schools
- Schools selected for District Level Awards with overall rating not less than four Star will be considered for the State/UT Level Awards. In case the number of schools in a district having five-star Rating is more, all the schools having overall five-star Rating will be considered for State/UT Level Awards.
- These schools will be screened by a State/UT Level Committee headed by the State Education Secretary or her/his nominee and comprising of Director (Education), Director (Health), two eminent school heads (selected by the State Education Secretary), Chief Engineer (Water Supply & Ph.D.), Director (Panchayati Raj), Director (Urban Local Bodies), representatives of Civil Society Organizations as members.
- Twenty Elementary and twenty Secondary schools having the maximum score and rating not less than four Star from Urban & Rural Areas (5 from Urban and 15 from Rural) will be selected for State/UT level awards.
- The State/UT Level Committee may get a physical verification of the selected schools done by a team consisting of school teachers and students in the district. The verification would be done using a checklist and taking photographs.
- A maximum of 40 schools selected at State/UT level from each State/UT will be awarded a Certiﬁcate of Recognition
- The State may also decide to confer these schools with additional grants/funds for incentivizing them.
- A maximum of twenty entries each at Elementary and Secondary level would be considered for the National Level Award.
National Level Awards
(iii) National Level Awards: Open to only five-star Categories
- A maximum of 100 schools each at Elementary and Secondary level will be awarded at the National level (with a ceiling of 30 urban and 70 rural areas schools in each level)
- A maximum of 40 schools selected for State/UT Level Awards with a rating of ﬁve stars from each State/UT will be considered for National Level Awards.
- 3 best performing States will be recognized and awarded with a Certiﬁcate of Recognition based on the scores secured by their nominated schools qualiﬁed for National level award
- 100% physical veriﬁcation of the nominated schools will be done using a checklist and by taking photographs.
- A National level Committee headed by the Secretary (School Education & Literacy) and comprising of Additional Secretary (School Education), Joint Secretary (Ministry of
How to Apply?
All schools are invited to apply for the awards. The registration of schools would be done with the U-DISE code of the school. If you do not have a UDISE-Code, download the Data Capture Format (DCF) and submit at Block / District / State level office to generate the U-DISE Code.
Schools will first complete the Primary Information section in the prescribed format. Upon submission, a “Password” will be sent to the mobile number given by the school in the primary information section. Schools will then log in with the U-DISE code and Password to complete the rest of the six sections of the survey.
Steps to Access Information of Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar:
- Option A: Download Mobile App (play store/ store) OR Give a Missed Call to 07097298093 to get App Links on your mobile
- Option B: Fill Online Survey
- Option C: Download Survey Format, fill it and seek assistance to complete the survey using option A or option B and Please read Instructions for filling the survey
The process for identifying and recognizing schools for awards is as below:
- Schools will register and submit information as per the prescribed format (Annexure 1) made available online (http://mhrd.gov.in → Swachh Vidyalaya → Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar) or by downloading a mobile app, Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar.
- The mobile app can be downloaded from Google Play Store or by giving a missed call at 07097298400. The registration of schools would be done with the U-DISE code of the school.
- The website/mobile app is customized to cater to different categories of schools. MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
- Schools are expected to provide accurate information as required in the format.
- The information in the format corresponds to the requirements in Swachh Vidyalaya guidelines. Annexure 2 provides the list of indicators categorized under (a) Water (b) Toilets (c) Handwashing (d) Operations and Maintenance (e) Behavior Change and Capacity Building.
- Maximum weightage assigned for each of the categories is given in Table 1: Weightage Assigned to Swachh Vidyalaya Sub-categories.
- The performance of the schools against categories will be scored as per the method given in Annexure 3.
- On the basis of the scores obtained, the schools would be given a rating as described in Table 2: School Rating Scheme
Eligibility: All Government and Government Aided Schools in Rural and Urban areas. MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
Activities to be taken up:
- Video conference to orient district-level officials on the framework, Web Portal, Ranking of Scores and Rationale, etc. with ASCI’s resource support.
- Dissemination to Mandal and school level:
Instructions have been sent to districts. State Sectoral Officers who are acting as District Incharges shall oversee the process of nominations.
- SPO – State Sectoral Offices (District Incharges)
- DPO – Sectoral Officers (Mandal Incharges)
- MEO / MIS Coordinators – Shall be responsible for online entry of all school nominations of their Mandal.
- School Complex HM / CRPs – Shall primarily be responsible for online entry of all schools nominations of their cluster.
- Head Masters of all Govt., Govt. Aided Schools – Shall self nominate for Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar.
The performance of the schools will be evaluated under the following categories:
- a. Water
- b. Toilets
- c. Handwashing with Soap
- d. Operations and Maintenance
- e. Behavior Change and Capacity Building.
Indicators & Weightage:
|Sub Categories||Maximum Score|
|Handwashing With Soap||20|
|Operations and Maintain||15|
|Behaviour Change and Capacity building||15|
Rating: The performance of the schools against the categories will be scored and schools would be given a rating as below
|90% – 100% of the Norms||Green / *****||Excellent. Keep it up!|
|75% – 89% adherence to the Norms||Blue / ****||Very Good|
|51% – 74% adherence to the Norms||Yellow / ***||Good, but there is a scope for improvement.|
|35% – 50% adherence to the norms||Orange / **||Fair, Needs Improvement|
|Below 35% adherence to the norms||Red / *||Poor: Need considerable improvement|
Only Orange and above are eligible for the award.
* Each school should score a minimum of orange rating in each of the Sub-categories in order to be eligible for any award. MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
No. of Schools to be Awarded for SwachhVidyalaya Puraskar
|District award (Yellow)||Sub Category wise (Green)||Total|
|State award (Blue / Green)||Elem.||Sec.||TOTAL|
All 40 schools at the State level will get an award of recognition and all will be considered for the National level. MHRD Swachh Vidyalay Puraskar Awards
- 100 Elementary and 100 Secondary schools (70 Rural, 30 Urban) will be awarded Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar.
- 50,000/- Additional School Grant and Certificate of Recognition.
- In addition, best performing districts (total 10) will be judged on the basis of the percentage of total schools with GREEN rating.
The awards are categorized at the District Level, State/UT Level, and National Level
- District Level Awards
- State/UT Level Awards
- National Level Awards
Mode of Selection:
- Self Nomination by Head Masters through an online questionnaire.
- The Online questionnaire consists of 39 Questions
- Five photographs
- Front view of the school and premises
- Separate functional toilets for boys and girls
- Functional toilets for CWSN
- Incinerator for disposal of sanitary waste
- Facilities for handwashing with soap after the use of toilets and before mid-day meal/ lunch.
- Website: mhrd.gov.in. Swachh Vidyalaya – Swachh Vidyalaya Puraskar. Or
- a. Mobile Application can be downloaded by giving a Missed Call to 07097298400 or from Google Play Store.
- b. Committees at different levels will physically verify the eligible schools for selection.
- c. District level committee – headed by District Collector (or his/her appointee), comprising DEO, 3 Eminent School Teachers, Superintendent Engineer (Water Supply / PHD), District Health Officer and Two members from Civil Society organizations / NGOs.