District Level Science Project Competitions of 24th-26th NCSC 2018-2019, NCSC Warangal, NCSC 2018 Competitions, National Children,s Science Congress, Uderstanding Weather and Climate, Sub themes. The 24th-26th National Children’s Science Congress(NCSC) District Level Science Project Competitions would take place in Hanamkonda in November first week. The Project Competitions are being organised for students between the age group of 10th and 17th years. The Focal theme of the Competitions would be “Innovations in Science and Technology for sustainable Development”
NCSC – Children’s Science Congress is targeted to spread the concept of the method of science among the children their project activities adopting the principle of learning through doing’. The mandate of participation is that, the children will carry out a project on a particular topic in relation to theme and sub-theme decided for the year. The study is to be carried out in the neighbourhood of the children where they live. For this, the students form a group with their like-minded friends/classmates and the study is carried out under the supervision of a guide.
It is noteworthy that, CSC programme is not only for the school going children but is also open fort the children outside the formal boundary of schools, in the age group of 10 to 17 years (where 10 to 14 years is considered as junior group and 14 + to 17 years as senior group). Further, it is not mandatory that a guide must be a school teacher; any persons with fair knowledge of dealing with children and method of science are considered eligible to guide the children, but should not be direct relative of any of the children. The exercise of project activities, as thumb rule,encourages the children to explore, think, serve and wonder. It is capable to imbibe the following temperament/quality/skill of the children:
- Making measurement,
- Making comparison and contrasts,
- Critical thinking,
- Creative thinking,
- Drawing conclusion and
- Cooperative skill
Therefore it is ideally expected that any group of children will undertake a project work with a perspective of continuous effort of questioning and experimentation. Here, observation incorporates anything the children observe in their daily life in the locality, in relation to the theme defined for the year. The observation should be followed by relevant questioning such as “What? Where? When? Why? How? Whom?”. In the search for finding out the answer to the question (s) one is required to review different literature concerning the issues in the study. Review of such literature basically and ideally helps in framing the steps towards the study and experimentation. In the process, one may also discuss with experts of the relevant fields to get information and advice. Initiatives for such activities must be encouraged by the guide associated with the project. These steps will help to frame assumption / hypothesis. Hypothesis is an assumption of some cause and its impact on the basic of observation, information collected from different literature and emerged from discussion with experts.
After these phases, actual study through survey or experimentation or survey followed by experimentation would start. In the case of survey-based work, identification of respondent, their unit of observation, sample coverage, design of survey in relation to designing of interview schedule or questionnaire is supposed to be the most critical steps. Such decisions may vary with the issues of study. On the other hand, in case of experimentation, setting the objective of experimentation, defining different parameters, identification of ideal instruments, framing of procedures/ steps and control along with repetitive observation of the experiments are critical decisions, which will determine the path towards the result. Again in relation to issues of study, such experiment may be either laboratory experiments or field experiments. It is expected that in course of time, the children’s project will bring in lots of new information about problems and prospects of their locality along with innovative ideas to address these issues.
Moreover, in the course of project work, the children may develop different new approaches of study along with the development of different instruments for their experiments. Such tools/instruments may be developed with the material in their access/available to them nearby. Another expectation was that the outcome of different studies will be communicated among the local populace, which in turn, helps in generating scientific temperament among the general mass. In a nutshell, the CSC projects are simple, innovative, concerned with local issues related with day to day life and are carried out with very nominal cost, where the focus is more on logical interpretation and analysis of issues, and finding out pragmatic solutions of generic nature to the possible extent, and not merely confined to the study topic and corresponding model making.
Objectives of CSC: The primary objective of the Children’s Science Congress is to make a forum available to children of the age-group of 10-17 years, both from formal school system as well as from out of school, to exhibit their creativity and innovativeness and more particularly their ability to solve a societal problem experienced locally using the method of science. By implication, the CSC prompts children to think of some significant societal problems, ponder over its causes and subsequently try and solve the same using the scientific process.
This involves close and keen observation, raising pertinent questions, building models, predicting solutions on the basis of a model, trying out various possible alternatives and arriving at an optimum solution using experimentation, field work, research and innovative ideas. The Children’s Science Congress encourages a sense of discovery. It emboldens the participants to question many aspects of our progress and development and express their findings in their vernacular.
A social movement along the lines of the Children’s Science Congress should be visualized in order to promote discovery learning across the nation, and eventually throughout South Asia” – National Curriculum Framework 2005, Executive Summary, Page (ix).
Relevance of CSC in the light of contemporary educational initiatives:
The basic approach of CSC is the principle of learning through doing on the issues of children’s immediate environment significantly caries the spirit and mandate of education for sustainable development (ESD) of UNESCO, National Curriculum Framework (NCF, 2005) and Right to Education (RTE, 2009).
The modalities and approaches of CSC cater to the five pillars of learning of education for Sustainable Development vividly, viz. Learning to know, learning to do, learning to live together and learning to be, learning to transform one self and society (Declaration of ESD in the 57th meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in December 2002, which proclaimed the UN Decade Education for sustainable Development, 2005-2014, refer – www.desd.org and www.unesco.org)
The mandate of CSC which encourages children to observe, explore, experiment and wonder through a project activity and its associated ways of participation and evaluation rightly takes care of the guiding principles of the NCF, 2005.
Similarly CSC activities also helps in materializing the approach of learning as framed in the Right of Children of Free and Compulsory Education (RTE)Act, 2005
More over the CSC activities, since 1993, has catered to many of the approaches and priorities of Science education visualized in the National Programmes.
NCSC District Level Science Project Competitions 2018-2019:
The 24th-25th District level Science Project Competitions of the National Children’s Science Congress(NCSC) will commence in Hanamakonda in November First week. In this subject District Educational Officer has informed to all the School head Officials Managements and Teachers of High Schools should motivate the students to come up with innovative scientific projects on the specified themes of the Children’s Science Congress and further he suggested to all the students in the district that they can download the registration forms and register their projects or personally register their projects at the venue as per schedule.
In this connection, The District NCSC Co-ordinator K.Ramgopal Reddy said that district and state-level Children’s Science Congress would be jointly Organized by State Council of Science and Technology, Department of School Education and State Council of Educational Research and Training.
Eligibility Criteria for Participants:
- This is a forum open to young scientists in the age group of 10-17 years as on December 31 of the calendar year. This event of NCSC is not restricted to the school-going children only but is also open for the non-school children from the marginalized sections of the society who can be involved as team members.
- It is open for children in the age of 10 years to 14 years (lower age group) and from 14+ years to 17 years (upper age group) as on December 31 of the calendar year.
- A group of children not exceeding five can do the project study under a guide teacher.
- A child scientist, who had already presented as a Group Leader at the National Level in one age group can act as a co-worker in the subsequent year, in the same age group (lower / upper).
- Parents, whose child would participate in the Children’s Science Congress in the ensuing year, should not hold any portfolio in the organizing committee of the CSC conducted at any level. Focal theme and Sub Themes for 2018-2019:
DISTRICT LEVEL- NCSC-2018
(National Children Science Congress)
“Science,Technology & Innovation for a Clean ,Green & Healthy Nation.
1. Ecosystem and Eco system Services.
2. Health , Hygiene and Sanitation.
3. Waste to Wealth.
4. Society, Culture and Lovely hoods.
5. Traditional Knowledge Systems (TKS).
All MEOs, HMs of Govt & Z P. Schools, SOs of KGBVS, Principals of Model Schools & Correspondents of private schools are here by informed to prepare projects for NCSC-2018 Compititions . District Level Children Science Congress will be held in the Third week of October-2018. Actual Date and venue communicated shortly …
Further details contact on 9849598281(DSO), 9866549297(NCSC Coordinator), 9440849587(NCSC academic coordinator) — D.E.O ., D S.O & District Co-ordinator N.C.S.C. Mahabubabad
State Level Children’s Science Congress will be held as per the new schedule and it will be conducted in November at any District and National level Competition at any state as per schedule. Who is eligible to Participate?
- This is a forum open to young scientists in the age group of 10-17 years.
- There will be 2 (two) age groups. First is 10 to less than 14 years and the other is 14 to less than 17 years. To determine the age the base will be 31st December of the calendar year.
- NCSC is not restricted to the school-going children only but is also open for the non-school children from the marginalised sections of the society who can be involved as team members. Any child in the age group of 10-17 years can participate in the congress.
- A child scientist can not participate in the National Level CSC two times in the same age group.
The presentation at the technical sessions of the congress is a very important component of the entire process. Effective communication during briefing the issues of study, its objectives and methodology adopted for the study, important observation and findings, vital aspects on the way and approach to solve the problem or address problems is a very critical part of the exercise. Because only 8 minutes time is allotted for the purpose. Therefore, one has to plan pragmatically for the purpose. Children can use 4 different posters (which is mandatory) along with visuals through overhead projector or LCD projector for the purpose. Poster must be prepared on 55 cm x 70 cm (21.6″ x 27.5″) drawing sheets (i.e. chart papers).
Further details contact :
- District Academic Coordinator:V.Gurunadha Rao(9866549297)
- District Coordinator:K. Ramgopal Reddy(9492447099 )
- District resource person :A.Ganeshwar( 9966856373)
- Register the Projects on or before: November….
- Personally register the projects at the venue on November ……
- District level Science Project Competitions of the NCSC will commence in Hanamakonda on November First week.
- State Level CSC will be held on 3rd week of November at… District .
- National level Competition at any state in December.
1. Selection of subjects for activity and registration of teams : On Going!
2. Working on the projects : Next 2-3 months
3. District Level Congress : By Late September Or Early October
4. State Level Congress : By mid November (Please go through state level event)
5. National Level Congress : National Children’s Science Congress in December 2018.
NCSC Projects Competitions Schedule:
Dsitrict Level: In October (Different dates to be announced in Various Districts)
State Level: In November
National Level: In December, 2018