GoI Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020. The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Government of India invites applications for Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020-21 from physically challenged students of class 9 and 10.
The key objective of the scholarship is to support the students with disabilities for their studies and prepare them to earn their livelihood and find a dignified place for themselves in society.
Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020 – Details
|Name of the Scholarship Name||Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020|
|Scholarship issuing Agency||Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities|
|Title||Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020|
|Scholarship Level||National Level|
|Abbreviation||Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities|
|Full-Form||Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities 2020 – Details|
|Name of the Department||MHRD|
|Scheme Closing Date||31-12-2020|
Objectives of the schemes are:
To support students with disabilities for their study in classes IX and X onwards so that the incidence of drop-out, especially in the transition from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized,
To improve participation of students with disabilities in classes IX and X and at the pre-matric stage of education.
To support students with disabilities to study further in order to prepare themselves to earn their livelihood and to find a dignified place for themselves in the society as they face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity.
All Graduate & Post Graduate courses recognised by UGC will be covered under Post-Matric Scholarship
Scholarships under this scheme will be available for studying in classes IX, X, XI, XII, post-matriculation diploma/certificates and Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in India and Master’s Degree from any University recognised by UGC, to students with disabilities who are covered
under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 and/or under any relevant legal statute in force.
Only Indian Nationals will be eligible for scholarships. Scholarship under the Scheme will be awarded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disability, Government of India.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be a regular full-time student of class 9 or class 10 in government or recognised school.
- Have more than 40% disability and a valid certificate for the same.
- Belong to the family where the annual income is not more than INR 2.50 Lakhs from all the sources.
- The scholarships are open to nationals of India only.
- The students having less than 40% disability (Certified by competent medical authority of the state Governments/UTs.) are not eligible.
Not more than two disabled children of the same parents will be entitled to receive benefits of the scheme. Provided in case the second child is a twin, the scholarship under this scheme will be admissible to both the twins.
Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student has to repeat a class, she / he would not get scholarship for that class for a second (or subsequent) year.
A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend. If awarded any other scholarship/stipend, the student can exercise his/her option for either of the two scholarships/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him/her and should inform the awarding authority through the Head of the Institution about the option made.
No scholarship will be paid to the students under this scheme from the date he/she accepts another scholarship/stipend. The student can however, accept free lodging or a grant or ad-hoc monetary help from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment or for meeting the expenses on board and lodging in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme.
Scholarship holders who are receiving coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the Central Government/ State Government will not be eligible for stipend under the coaching schemes for the duration of the coaching programme.
The following factors will be taken into consideration for selecting the scholars –
- Fulfilment of eligibility conditions
- Number of slots available to the State
- Recommendation of the State Education Department
- Academic merit of the candidate in the qualifying examination
Note: In case of a tie in marks obtained by the students, the selection will be based on the percentage of disability. Furthermore, if a tie still prevails, the age will be taken into consideration and the older candidate will get the preference.
For Pre-matric scholarship: She/he should be a regular, full time student studying in class IX or X in a Government school or in a school recognized by Govt. or by a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
Value of Scholarship
The value of Pre – matric scholarship includes the following for complete duration of the course: A total of 25,000 fresh scholarships and renewal scholarships will be given for the academic year 2020-21. It includes –
- Maintenance allowance for 12 months in an academic year (for hostellers): INR 800 per month
- Maintenance allowance for 12 months in an academic year (for day scholars): INR 500 per month
- Book grant (for both hostellers and day scholars): INR 1,000 per annum
- Disability allowance
- Visually impaired: INR 4000 per annum
- Hearing impaired: INR 2000 per annum
- Physically disabled: INR 2000 per annum
- Intellectual disability: INR 4000 per annum
- All other types of disability: INR 2000 per annum
Rates of Scholarship and Grant
|Rate of Scholarship (in Rs. Per month) payable for 10 months in an academic year.||350||600|
|Book and adhoc grant (Rs. Per annum)||750||1000|
|Allowances||Amount (in Rs.)|
|a) Monthly Reader Allowance for Blind students||160|
|b) Monthly Transport Allowance, if such students do not reside in the hostel which is with in the premises of the Educational Institution.||160|
|c) Monthly Escort Allowance for Severely Disabled (i.e. with 80% or higher disability) Day Scholars/Students With low extremity disability||160|
|d) Monthly Helper allowance admissible to any employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopaedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an educational institution who may need the assistance of a helper||160|
|e) Monthly Coaching Allowance to Mentally retarded and mentally ill students||240|
- Photo of the applicant
- Certificate of previous academic mark sheet
- Fee receipt of current course year
- Age proof certificate
- Income certificate of the family
- Bank account details
- Disability certificate
How to apply?
Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through following steps –
- Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal and click on ‘New Registration’.
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue’.
- Select the state of domicile, scholarship category (Pre Matric), scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
- Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
- Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
- Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
- An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
Scholarship announcement date: 15 July 2020.
Scholarship closing date: 31-12-2020.
Last date for defect verification: 15-01-2021.
Last date for Institute verification: 15-01-2021.
Last Date for submission of application : 31-12-2020
Source: National Scholarship Portal
- What is the Eligibility Criteria for Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for Students with Disabilities under National Scholarship?
Pre-Matric Scholarship is Open for disabled students who have more than 40% disability and a valid certificate for the same
Students must be studying in Class 9 or 10
The annual family income must be less than INR 2.50 lakh from all sources