Top Class Education Scholarship for SC Students 2020 under Top Class Education Scheme for SC Students (Scheme for Top class education for SC students). The Scheme implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment was approved in 2007 and was subsequently revised in January, 2012 and June 2016.
The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is inviting applications for Top Class Education Scheme for SC Students 2020-21 from Scheduled Caste students who have taken admission at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
The scheme aims to recognize and promote quality education beyond class 12 among Scheduled Caste students. A total of 1,500 fresh scholarships are disbursed every year under this scheme.
The Scheme aims at recognizing and promoting quality education amongst students belonging to SCs, by providing full financial support. The Scheme will cover SC students for pursuing studies beyond 12th class.
The Scheme will operate in all the institutions notified by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Top Class Education Scholarship for SC Students 2020 – Details
|Name of the Scholarship Name||Top Class Education Scholarship for SC Students 2020|
|Scholarship issuing Agency||Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Title||Scholarships for Top Class Education for SC Students 2020|
|Scholarship Level||National Level|
|Abbreviation||Top Class Education Scholarship for SC Students|
|Full-Form||Scheme for Top Class Education for Schedule Caste Students)|
|Name of the Department||MHRD|
|Scheme Closing Date||31-01-2021|
Eligibility: To be eligible, an applicant:
- Must belong to Scheduled Caste category.
- Must have completed class 12.
- Must have taken admission for a full-time course in a notified institution through general selection criteria prescribed by respective institutions.
- Must belong to a family where the annual income is not more than INR 6.00 Lakhs from all the sources.
Those SC students having total annual family income from all sources up to Rs. 6.00 lakh and having secured admission in a full-time course in any of the notified institutions according to the general selection criteria prescribed by the concerned institution, will be eligible for scholarship under the Scheme to the extent of the number of scholarships (slots) allocated to the institution for the course.
In case the number of eligible students admitted exceeds the number of slots allotted to the institution, the scholarship will be restricted to the top students in the inter-se merit list based on the admission criteria for the course. However, if there is more than one student with equal marks for the last available slot in an institution, preference should be given to the student with the lowest family income.
The remaining students from SC category admitted in the institution shall be eligible for the Post-Matric Scholarship (PMS) administered by this Ministry through State Governments/UT Administrations, provided such students are otherwise eligible under the said scheme.
In case the institution finds that the number of eligible candidates in the 1st year are less than the number of slots allotted to it, the balance slots may be offered to eligible students studying in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year, etc.
on the basis of inter-se merit of previous year’s result giving priority to those with higher number of years left to complete their respective course i.e. 2nd year students are to get priority over the 3rd year students and so on.
Thirty percent (30%) of slots allotted to the Institution shall be reserved for eligible SC girl students as per their inter-se merit. In the absence of sufficient number of girl students, the slots may be transferred to eligible boy students as per their inter-se merit.
However, the 30% slots as mentioned above will not include those girl students who are selected on the basis of their performance in the overall merit list of students of the Institution.
The benefit of the Scheme will not be provided to more than 2 siblings in a family. The students will submit an affidavit in the Institution to certify that he/she is not the third sibling of the family who is availing benefit under the Scheme.
The scholarship will be terminated if the student fails to pass the final examination of each year or any terminal examination or semester examination prescribed. He will, however, remain eligible for the Post-Matric Scholarship.
Benefits (Financial Assistance): The SC students, who secure admission in the notified institutions, will be awarded scholarship to meet the requirements for. The selected scholars will receive.
- Full tuition fee and non-refundable charges of up to INR 2.00 Lakhs per annum for private sector institutions and up to INR 3.72 Lakhs per annum for private sector flying club for Commercial Pilot Training and Type Rating Courses
- Living expense: INR 2,220 per month
- Books and stationery: INR 3,000 per annum
- Computer/Laptop with UPS and Printer of any reputed brand: INR 45,000 (one-time assistance)
- The scholarship, once awarded, will continue till the completion of the course, subject to satisfactory performance of the student.
Terms and Conditions (Rules)
- The scholarship will be sanctioned to the students of:
- All the IIMs, IITs, IIITs, AIIMS, NITs, NIFTs, NIDs, Indian Institute of Hotel Management, National Law Universities and other Central Government Institution, OR
- Institutes included in the list of National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) A++ and A+ Accredited Institutions, OR
- Top 100 national Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) Institution, Or
- Institutions of National Importance as per the list issued by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- All Government and CPSE run institutes, approved by Director General of Civil Aviation in case of Commercial Pilot Training Course and Type Rating Course.
- 30% of scholarships are earmarked for girls students that can be transferred to male students in case of non-availability of female students.
- The scholarship will be terminated if the students fail in the final examination of each year.
- The scholarship will not be given to more than two children of a family.
Funding Pattern & Mode of Payment
The Scheme will be funded by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment on 100% basis.
In respect of those institutions in which fee has been waived for SC students, the other four components, namely – other non refundable charges, boarding and lodging, books and stationery and computer/laptop and accessories may be reimbursed under the scheme.
The scholarship will become payable immediately after a student has secured admission and has started attending the classes.
The payment of tuition fee and other non-refundable charges will be made directly to the institution by the Central Government through Direct Benefit Transfer mode.
Similarly, the payment of living expenses, books & stationery and computer/laptop with accessories will be made directly to the student by the Central Government through Direct Benefit Transfer mode.
With a view to ensure access of all students to the provisions of this Scheme, the institution will incorporate the salient feature of the scheme in their prospectus, in addition to putting the same on the website of the institution.
The institution will select eligible SC students on the basis of merit and shall forward the applications of the selected students to the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in prescribed format along with income certificate, caste certificate, bank account details of the student and institution, proof of admission, scorecard of entrance exam where applicable, fee structure and fee charged etc. to claim the scholarship.
In case of renewals, the institution will send to the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment the progress report including result of the student for the Previous year, Student’s bank account details, fee structure and fee charged for current academic year, duly filled application formand Utilisation Certificate (UC) in the prescribed proforma.
Normally, the student should purchase the computer/laptop including accessories in the first year he/she is awarded the scholarship. The student will submit the bill for purchase of the same while applying for the scholarship in the subsequent year. If the amount of purchase is less than the amount released to him/her under this head, the difference will be adjusted against the admissible grant to the student.
The performance of the SC students covered under the Scheme shall be monitored regularly by the Head of the respective institution and the same shall be reported, through a report card, to the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment at the end of each academic year.
In the event of denotification/deletion of any institution, the scholarship will continue to be available to the SC students already admitted under the Scheme, if otherwise eligible, till the completion of the course. However, no fresh seats will be allotted and funds released to such denotified institutions.
- Caste Certificate
- Income Certificate
- Bank account details of the institution and the student
- Proof of admission
- Scorecard of entrance exam qualified (if applicable)
- Fee Structure of the program
How To apply?
Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through following steps.
- Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal and click on ‘New Registration‘.
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue‘.
- Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
- Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
- Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
- Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
- An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
- Scholarship announcement date: 15 July 2020.
- Scholarship closing date: 31-01-2021
- Last date for defective verification: 05-02-2021.
- Last date for institute verification: 05-02-2021
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form. Source: https://scholarships.gov.in/
- What is the Eligibility Criteria for Top Class Education Scholarship for SC Students under National Scholarship?
Top Class Education Scholarship is Open for SC category students who have passed Class 12
Students must have taken admission in a full-time course at undergraduate or postgraduate level
The annual income of the family must be less than INR 6 lakh from all sources