School Management Committee Formation Guidelines, AP TS SMC/School Management Committee Formation Guidelines and Election Process: School Management Committee/SMC means School Management Committee.
SMC has a very crucial role in actualizing the goals of RTE. It has tremendous potential to transform the existing system of education, characterized by cynicism and a defeatist outlook of the system functionaries and stakeholders, including teachers and parents.
Through its positive action and a constructive dialogue with other stakeholders the SMC can work towards reinstating a well functioning school system. Consistency of positive actions by SMC will change the dynamics and solutions will begin to take shape, first at local levels and then at the larger systemic levels.
PARENTS CAN BE THE CHANGE LEADERS: Parents and children are the primary stakeholders of an education system and it is they who bear the brunt of the faulting school system. They need to be given opportunities and support to bring about a change in the education system. Our role is to make them realize that they hold the powerful key to initiate the process of reversing the decline in schools, through their constructive and collective engagements with the school and other stakeholders.
“The new relationship between teachers and community has to be based not on the power of control but on the power of mutual trust”
SMC: Key Functions:
- Making School Development Plan (SDP) as per the RTE guidelines/norms
- Management of school
- Supervising and supporting implementation of SDP
- Supervision/monitoring of finance, management, academic progress, distribution of entitlements & other functions
- Ensuring accountability and transparency in the system through the social audit mechanism
- Keeping proper accounts of the fund available and sharing its deployment and utilization with the ‘Grama Sabha’
- Creating and maintaining an educational database
- Coordinating with the local authority, generating funds from other sources for development of schools
- Monitoring academic progress of the children
- Instituting social audit mechanism and processes to bring transparency in the system and ensure universal participation
SMC Manual Book / SMC Module (Get PDF Book)
Guidelines for formation of School Management Committee
- The SMC shall be constituted in every school, except unaided schools, within its jurisdiction, within six months of the commencement of the Act and reconstituted every 2 years.
- A primary school consists of 27 members committee from which 24 members shall be from the mother / father or guardian of the children enrolled in the school. One member will be the elected representative one member may be the nominee of the Mahila Samaikyas of the village concerned.
The Head Master or the in charge of the school shall be ex-officio member /convenor of the committee
- A school, other than a school specified in sub-clause (iv) of clause (n) of section 2, shall constitute a School Management Committee consisting of the elected representatives of the local authority, parents or guardians of children admitted in such school and teachers
- Three-fourth of members of such Committee shall be parents or guardians proportionate representation shall be given to the parents or guardians of children belonging to disadvantaged group and weaker section fifty percent of Members of such Committee shall be women shall perform the following functions
Monitors the working of the school;
Prepares and recommend school development plan;
Monitors the utilization of the grants received performs such other functions as may be prescribed.
- Every School Management Committee, constituted under sub section (1) of section 21, shall
prepare a School Development Plan
- Maintain regularity and punctuality of teachers in attending school
- No teacher shall engage himself in private tuition of private teaching activity
- SMC shall identify children requiring special training and organize such trainings
- School Management Committees may involve Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Self Help Groups (SHGs) in mobilization and identification of Out-of-School children (see in Right To Education Act rule) Chairperson of the SMC shall maintain a list of the children belonging to disadvantaged groups and weaker sections.
SMC Members Formation Process:
|1||Chairperson||Student’s Parent or Guardian||Elected from Parents or Guardian|
|2||Vice-Chairperson||Student’s Parent or Guardian||Elected from parents|
|4||Elected Members||Parents or Guardians||Will be elected from parent members|
by majority from each class by show
of hand / voice vote / secret ballot
|5||Ex Officio Members||Teacher,|
Coorporator , Anganwadi Teacher,
Purpose Health Worker – Female ( ANM ),
President Mahila Samakhya
|6||Coopted Members||Eminent educationist / philanthropist / Office|
Bearer of NGO/Voluntry Organization, an
Alumni or such other supported of the school
|Co-opted by the elected|