Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2023 for College and University Students by DOHE. The Department of Higher Education under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India is inviting applications for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship 2022-23 for College and University Students from class 12 passed students who are studying in college/university.
Latest Update: DOHE CSSS Scholarship 2023 (Merit Scholarship for College, University Students 2023) – BIE has informed to all the Students in Particular, Parents, Lecturers and Principals in general, who would like to apply for the CSSS National Scholarship that means DOHE Scholarship of the Ministry of Education of Govt of India that the last date for Applications of both Fresh and Renewal for Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for college and University students 30-11-2022.
And the last date for Institutional verification has extended up to 30-11-2022. All desirous Students can apply through online by visiting the website (scholarships.gov.in). The list of provisionally selected candidates (52,740) is available on our official website i.e. tsbie.cgg.gov.in
Online applications have been invited for Central Sector Scheme for Scholarship (CSSS)for College and University Students for the year 2020. The scholarship programme is sponsored by Department of Higher Education (DOHE), Ministry of Education.
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has issued a press note regarding this. As per the press release, candidates who have interested and eligible for DOHE CSS Scholarship can apply for this programme on online at scholarships.gov.in. Students can apply for both fresh and renewal of scholarships.
CBSE Official Web Note: The online applications for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students are for the year 2023, 1st Renewal for the year 2022, 2nd Renewal for the year 2022, 3rd renewal for the year 2020 and 4th renewal for the year 2019 is available on National Scholarship Portal (http://scholarships.gov.in).
Candidates note that the scholarship is being sponsored by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education and the online application for the scholarship is now available on scholarships.gov.in. Students may visit the National Scholarship Portal to apply for fresh & renewal of scholarship, The last date for submission of the online application form for renewal and for fresh scholarship 30-11-2022.
Candidates are advised to apply online within the stipulated time and get their online applications verified by the institutions (if required show the original documents to the institute) else the application would be treated as invalid. All must note that they should fill in the application form for the scholarship within the stipulated time and get their online applications verified by the institutions.
82000 DOHE Scholarships
Economic conditions are hampering the higher education of many talented students. The Central Department of Higher Education (DOHE) is offering scholarships to encourage such people in their studies.
First year students studying BA, BCom, BSc, BTech, MBBS, BDS, AGBSC or any other degree can apply for these. 82,000 students across the country will receive these incentives. The awards are given on the basis of merit shown in the Senior Secondary / Intermediate examination.
Those currently enrolled in any UG or Integrated PG first year courses can apply for this incentive offered under the name ‘Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students’. Of the total 82,000 scholarships, 41,000 were awarded to girls and 41,000 to boys. These are set up to cater to the daily needs of the talented students.
The awards will be given for five years from UG to PG. For Professional courses such as B.Tech pay up to four years. Those pursuing general degrees and integrated PGs will be paid Rs.10,000 per annum for the first three years. PG is offered at the rate of Rs.20,000 per annum for two years
DOHE CSS Scholarship 2023
- The Central Sector Scholarship Scheme aims to support meritorious students from financially weaker sections by providing them financial assistance for their day-to-day expenses incurred while pursuing higher studies.
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students is a centrally-funded merit-cum-means scholarship initiated by the Department of Higher Education of MHRD (Ministry Of Education).
- Started with the objective to financially assist students of economically underprivileged families, Central Sector Scholarship scheme is disbursed among a total of 82,000 graduate/postgraduate students every year.
- This scholarship is given in equal proportion to boys and girls, i.e., 41,000 of the total number of scholarships are reserved for boys and the other 41,000 are for girl candidates.
Central Sector Scholarship 2023 for Students – Details
|Name of the Scholarship||Central Sector Scholarship 2023|
|Title||Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2022 for College and University Students by DOHE|
|Full-Form||Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students (National Merit Scholarships to College, University Students)|
|Scheme Closing Date||30-11-2022|
The selected students receive an annual scholarship amount of up to Rs 20,000 so that they could meet their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies. Scholarship Registration, Find New Scholarship. A detailed description of the Central Sector Scholarship scheme can be found below.
Central Sector scholarship Highlights
|Awards||Up to INR 20,000 per annum till the completion of course|
|Eligibility||Candidates who are above the 80th percentile of successful students who have passed class 12 Pursuing regular UG/PG course Annual family income less than Rs.8 Lakh|
|Application period*||July-October (Tentative)|
|Application process||Application through official NSP|
Central Sector Scholarship Objective: Offered to meritorious students, the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students aims to provide monetary support to those students who come from low-income group families. The fund provided under this scholarship helps the candidate to meet his/her daily expenses incurred while pursuing graduate or postgraduate studies in general or professional courses.
Central Sector Scholarship Awards:
- Central Sector Scholarship awards a total of 82,000 scholarships every year, among which 50% of the scholarship is earmarked for girl candidates and the remaining 50% is for boy candidates.
- All these scholarships are distributed to the State Education Boards on the basis of the population of 18-25 years age group in the respective State, after segregating the share of CBSE and ICSE.
- Furthermore, the scholarships allotted to State Education Boards are divided in the ratio of 3:2:1 among the pass-outs of Science, Commerce and Arts, respectively.
- The selected students receive the scholarship amount directly into their account through Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) mode. Given below is the detail of rewards given under Central Sector Scholarship scheme.
Award Money of Central Sector Scholarship Scheme
|Level of Study||Scholarship Amount|
|Graduation||An annual scholarship amount of INR 10,000 for 1st three years of graduation. In case of 5-year integrated course (professional studies), Rs 20,000 per year is given to students during 4th and 5th year of study. If the students are pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech., B.Engg., the scholarship is given up to graduation level.|
|Post-graduation||An amount of INR 20,000 is provided to students studying at postgraduation level.|
Eligibility Criteria for Central Sector Scholarship
Central Sector Scholarship scheme is meant for those bright students who belong to economically disadvantaged families. While applying for this merit-cum-means scholarship, the applicants must make sure that they are above the 80th percentile of successful students in the relevant stream in class 12 board exam. Find below more details about the eligibility criteria needed to apply for the scholarship.
Parental Income Limit: The parental/family income ceiling is Rs. 8 lakh per annum for all categories under the scheme and would be applicable from current the Academic Session. Income certificate would be required for the fresh applicants only.
- The applicants must be in the top 20th percentile merit list of class 12 result of concerned boards (SEB/CBSE/ICSE).
- The candidates must be pursuing regular courses of graduation/postgraduation/professional studies from colleges/universities recognised by AICTE, UGC, MCI, DCI or other regulatory bodies.
- The candidates belonging to reserved categories of SC, ST, OBC and PWD will get a reservation of 15%, 7.5%, 27% and 5%, respectively.
- The candidates’ annual family income must not exceed INR 8 Lakh.
- The applicants must not be availing any other scholarship benefits.
- Also, those students who are pursuing Diploma courses are not eligible for this merit-cum-means scholarship.
Note: Students pursuing degree courses through distance mode or correspondence and diploma courses are not eligible.
Central Sector Scholarship Renewal
The beneficiaries of this merit-cum-means scholarship are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum period of 5 years which includes both graduation and postgraduation period. The candidates must be pursuing graduation and post-graduation in the same stream. Moreover, the candidates must fulfil the prescribed eligibility criteria in order to get the scholarship renewed.
- The students must have secured at least 50% or more marks in the previous exam.
- The students must maintain the attendance of at least 75%.
- The candidates must not be involved in any ragging activities.
- The candidates can apply on NSP for renewal of this merit-cum-means scholarship.
Central Sector Scholarship Amount
Rate of Scholarship /Scholarship Amount: The rate of scholarship is Rs.10000/- per annum at Graduation level for first three years of College and University courses and Rs.20000/- per annum at Post Graduation level. Students pursuing professional courses, in case, where the duration of course is five (5) years/Integrated course would get Rs.20000/- per annum in the 4th and 5th year. However, students pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech., B.Engg would get scholarship up to graduation level.
Benefits: The students selected for this scholarship are provided financial support which varies depending on their education level.
- At graduation level, a scholarship of Rs 10,000 per annum will be provided for the first three years.
- At the post-graduation level, an amount of Rs 20,000 per annum will be provided.
- For 5-year professional courses, Rs 20,000 per annum will be provided in the 4th and 5th year.
- Note: In the case of technical courses such as B.Tech and B.E., the selected candidates will receive a scholarship for up to graduation level.
Reservation: Students belonging to reserved categories/weaker sections /minorities are eligible on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy and internalearmarking. Reservations for the various categories are as follows : Scheduled Castes (SCs) 15 % , Scheduled Tribes ( STs) 7.5 %, Other Backward Classes(OBCs) 27 % and horizontally 5 % for Physically Handicapped / Persons(s) with Disabilities (PwDs) in all the categories.
Application Process for Central Sector Scholarship
To make the application process easy and accessible for applicants, MHRD allows students to fill the scholarship application form online through the government scholarship portal, the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). Follow the steps given below to fill the Central Sector Scholarship application form.
- Applicants applying on NSP for the first time need to register with NSP as a new user.
- Fill in all the required information and click on ‘Register’ to get registered. A student application ID and password is generated on the registered mobile number.
- The applicants need to log in to NSP using the newly generated ID and password. An OTP is sent on the registered mobile number using which the candidate must change his/her password.
- Once the password is changed, the candidates are directed to Applicant’s Dashboard Page, where applicants need to click on ‘Application form’ to start the application process.
- The applicants need to provide all the necessary details such as registration details, academic details, basic details, contact details and scheme details.
- All the required documents in support of identity and academic eligibility must be uploaded by the applicants.
- Now, the filled-in application form must be saved as a draft so that the applicant can check every detail once again to make sure they are correct.
- Finally, the candidate must click on ‘Submit’ button to submit the completed scholarship application form.
Note: These online scholarships submitted by the candidates are verified at two levels – one at institute level where the candidate is studying and the other at education board level through which the candidate passed his/her class 12 exam.
How To apply for Central Sector Scholarship 2023?
All College and University students are aware of the scholarships that are available on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP portal) and students fulfil the eligibility conditions specified, students can apply for them online. The given steps to be followed for making a successful application on the portal.
- Visit the scholarships.gov.in Website
Students need to visit the official website of the NSP portal, https://scholarships.gov.in in your device browser.
- Click on New User? Register Link
Once you reach the official website, you click on the New User Registration link on the home page. Applicant should read and understood the guidelines for registration. After tick on the radio buttons, you can click on the Click on the Continue button.
- Fill the Fresh Registration Form
After clicking on that link, a Fresh Registration form would be opened. Now, Select the Post Matric / MC/ Top Class for Class 11, 12, UG, PG etc., from the Scholarship Category and Select Scholarship Scheme if you want to apply for Scholarships OR Select Incentive Scheme if you want to apply for any incentive scheme and fill the form with required information and click on the register button.
- Click on Login to Apply Link
After completion of new registration process, student will get a unique application ID and password through SMS on the provided (registered) mobile number. Now, you can click on the Login to Apply link on the home page. Then, Login for Fresh Application web page will appear in your device.
- Enter Login details
In the login web page, student shall login to NSP using application ID and password which were received at the time of registration process and click on the login button. Here, the student must change the password upon first login. This password has to be kept safely and confidentially. The College and University students can change the mobile number only before the first login, i.e. before changing the received password.
- Click on the Application Form link
After clicking on the login button, an applicant dashboard will open. Now, click on the ‘Application Form’ to proceed with the scholarship application.
- Fill the Application Form
After clicking on the application form link, application form web page will appear. The Application Form is divided into three Parts, i.e., Registration Details, Academic Details, Basic Details. College and University Students should fill in all required details in the application form and Upload all supporting documents with the application form. Finally, click on the ‘Final Submit’ button.
- Print the Application Form
After clicking on the submit button, your application will be submitted successfully. Now, print and save application form further reference.
Necessary documents that the applicants must keep with them ready at the time of application process. The list of the required documents for the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students is given below. Before initiating registration process, students / Parents / guardian are advised to keep the documents handy.
- Bank passbook issued in the name of the applicant for filling bank details
- Aadhaar card number (In case Aadhaar is not yet assigned, alternatives like Aadhaar enrolment ID slip, voter ID card, driving license, PAN, passport etc. can be used
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority
- Caste certificate, if applicable
- Disability certificate, if applicable
- Class 12 mark sheet
Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University Students. Calls for application for CSSS scholarships: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released a notification regarding the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students (CSSS). Interested students can apply new and renew their applications on the official website of the Board (cbse.nic.in). Scholarships can be renewed.
Students applying for scholarship for the first time (Fresh Students) need to “Register” on the portal as fresh applicant by providing accurate and authenticated information as printed on their documents in the “Student Registration Form”. The registration form is required to be filled by parents / guardian of students who are below the age of 18 years on the date of registration. Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through following steps
- Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal and click on ‘New Registration’.
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue’.
- Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
- Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
- Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
- Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
- An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Instructions: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
After submitting the application, the default login id and password to log into NSP portal will be sent to the provided mobile number. In case the password is not received, the option for forgot password at login page shall be used.
Students are advised to provide “Annual Family Income” as per the Income Certificate issued by competent authority in their scholarship application.
- Scholarship announcement date: 01-08-2021.
- Scholarship closing date: 15-01-2023.
- Last date for defective verification: 31-01-2023.
- Last date for institute verification: 31-01-2023.
Selection Criteria: Students will be selected based on the merit list as per the state allocated quota. The applications of the candidates will be verified at two distinctive levels, namely- By the Institute where the student is studying AND By the respective State Education Board
Terms and Conditions (Rules):
- Students belonging to reserved categories/minorities/weaker sections are eligible for reservation on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy and internal earmarking.
- The applications of students which are not verified either by the Institute or by the concerned State Education Board or by both will be treated as ‘Invalid’.
- The total duration of the scholarship will not be exceeding 5 years.
- 50% of the total scholarships are reserved for girl candidates.
- A total of 82,000 fresh scholarships are disbursed every year amongst the pass outs of Science, Commerce and Humanities streams in the ratio of 3:2:1.
What is DOHE CSS Scholarship?
DOHE CSS Scholarship means, Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students by Department of Higher Education (DOHE).
What is the aim of Central Sector Scholarship Scheme 2020
CBSE aims to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from low-income families to meet a part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies. The board provides scholarships on the basis of the results of senior secondary examinations.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for CSS Scholarship under National Scholarship?
CSS Scholarship is open for Class 12 passed students who are pursuing a regular course such as medical and engineering from a recognized institution.
Students must be above 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream in Class 12 or equivalent of respective state examination boards.
The annual family income must be less than INR 8 lakh from all sources
How to Apply for DOHE Scholarship?
Students must first register their details on the National Scholarship Portal. Then fill in the relevant scholarship form online. Necessary documents should be attached. Full details of this scholarship can be obtained by clicking on the Department of Higher Education at https://scholarships.gov.in/.
What is the last date for CSS Scholarship Registration?
For the CSS Scholarship Registration last date is 30-11-2020.
How much Scholarship amount will be received the selected students under this Programme:
The amount of scholarship is Rs.10,000 per annum in the first three years of graduation and For students at the post-graduation level, the amount is Rs.20,000, per annum in the fourth and fifth years will be received under this scheme.
How can I get a Central Sector Scholarship?
The Central Sector Scholarship, run by MHRD, Government of India is meant to support the studies of meritorious students coming from underprivileged families.
The students who fulfil all the eligibility conditions may apply for the scholarship through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). Once the application gets verified, the selected students get the scholarship amount directly in their respective bank accounts through DBT.
Who is eligible for the Central Sector Scholarship?
The students, who are among the top 20th percentile of successful students in the relevant stream in Class 12 board examination can avail benefits under this scholarship.
They must be pursuing a regular undergraduate/ postgraduate/ professional course from a recognised institution in India. Also, the annual income of the family should be less than INR 8 lakh per annum from all sources.
What are the documents required for the Central Sector Scholarship?
The students applying for the Central Sector Scholarship need to provide certain documents in support of their application such as bank passbook in the name of the applicant, Aadhaar card number, income certificate, caste certificate (if applicable), disability certificate (if applicable), and Class 12 mark sheet.
What is the minimum income requirement for Central Sector Scholarship?
There is no minimum income requirement for the scholarship. However, the annual income of the applicant's family must not exceed INR 8 lakh per annum from all sources.
What is the minimum percentage requirement for renewal of Central Sector Scheme?
To ensure the renewal of scholarship, the students must secure at least 50% marks or more in the previous examination. Also, they must maintain the attendance of at least 75%.
Is this scholarship available for General category students?
Yes, the Central Sector Scholarship is meant for all categories of students (including General category). However, reservations are available for various reserved categories as per the norms laid by the Government of India.
15% scholarships are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) students, 7.5% scholarships are reserved for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates, 27% scholarships are reserved for Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates, and 5% scholarships are reserved for Physically Handicapped/Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
Which documents are required for online applying?
The list of following documents are required for online applying
1. Educational documents of student
2. Student's Bank account number and IFSC code of the bank branch
Note: For pre matric scholarship scheme, where students do not have their own bank account, parents can provide their own account details. However, parents account number can only be used against scholarship applications for maximum two children.
3. Aadhaar number of the Student
4. If Aadhaar is not available, then Bonafide student certificate from Institute / School and
5. Aadhaar Enrolment ID or Scanned copy of Bank passbook
6. If Institute/School is different from domicile state of the applicant, then Bonafide student certificate from Institute / School.
What is the rate of scholarship under the CSSS Scheme?
The rate of scholarship is Rs.10000/- per annum at Graduation level for first three years of College and University courses and Rs.20000/- per annum at Post-Graduation level. Students pursuing professional courses are paid Rs.20,000/- per annum in the 4th and 5th year.
Central Sector Scholarship Scheme (CSSS)
The Department of Higher Education (DOHE) has introduced a new scheme for meritorious students from low income families going to colleges/universities for implementation during the XI Five Year Plan period with an approved outlay of Rs.1000 Crore. This is a Central Sector Scheme titled “Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students”.
National Merit Scholarship Scheme was introduced by Department of Education (DOHE). It was available to brilliant but poor students from class XI to Post-Graduation level.
In addition, a Scheme of Scholarship at the Secondary stage for talented children from rural areas was also introduced by Department of Education. It was available to talented but poor students from rural areas from class VI to class XII.
These two Schemes were merged and a single Scheme, namely, the ‘National Merit Scholarship Scheme’ was established by Department of Education for implementation from 2005-06.
This was available to meritorious students from class IX to Post-Graduation level. However, since funds were not provided by the Planning Commission for the year 2007-08, the Scheme has been discontinued w.e.f. 01.04.2007. School Education has come under a new Department, namely, Department of School Education & Literacy w.e.f. the year 2007-08.
The Department of School Education and Literacy has introduced a new Scheme ‘National Means-Cum- Merit Scholarship Scheme’. This Scheme will cover students from class IX to XII.
The Department of Higher Education (DOHE) has introduced a new scheme for meritorious students from low income families going to colleges/universities for implementation during the XI Five Year Plan period with an approved outlay of Rs. 1000 Crore.
This is a Central Sector Scheme titled “Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students”.
Number of Scholarships (Total: – 82000): Number of Scholarships allocated to States/UTs under the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for University and College Students
|1 CBSE 5413|
2 ICSE 577
3 Andhra Pradesh * 3527
4 Arunachal Pradesh 77
5 Assam 2002
6 Bihar 5624
7 Chattisgarh 1387
|14 Jharkhand 1878|
15 Karnataka 4237
16 Kerala 2324
17 Maharashtra 7417
18 Madhya Pradesh 4299
19 Manipur 181
20 Meghalaya 166
|27 Tamil Nadu 4883|
28 Telangana * 2570
29 Tripura 236
30 Uttar Pradesh 11460
31 Uttarakhand 616
32 West Bengal 5941
33 Andaman & Nicobar 31
|8 Delhi 1162|
9 Goa 113
10 Gujarat 3944
11 Haryana 1591
12 Himachal Pradesh 461
13 Jammu & Kashmir 768
|21 Mizoram 75|
22 Nagaland 176
23 Odisha 2736
24 Punjab 1902
25 Rajasthan 3978
26 Sikkim 4
|34 Chandigarh 82|
35 Dadra & Nagar Haveli 21
36 Daman & Diu 19
37 Lakshadweep 4
38 Puducherry 78
Note: Bifurcation of Quota of unified State of Andhra Pradesh (6097) divided between the new State of Telangana (2570) and Andhra Pradesh (3527) vide letter no.1-42/2014-NS-I (AP) dated 17.09.2014.
NSP Portal Registration Links
|Type of applying||Applying Link|
|NSP New Registration Web Page||New Registration|
|Fresh Application: Student Applying for first time should compulsory register. Application Id will be login Id and Password is Date of Birth. Don’t share Application Id and Pass Word with others||New User? Register|
|Those Students who is applying first time or did not get scholarship last year through NSP.||Login to Apply|
|Renewal Application: Those student who got scholarship last year through NSP willing to renew for current session in the same course. Login Id & Pass word are same as last year.||Apply for Renewal|
|Search Institute/School/ITI registered with NSP||Search Link|
|Scheme-Wise list of Applicants processed for Scholarship||Scholarship Sanctioned List|
Renewal Application for CSS Scholarship
For Telugu states like, The scholarship is divided into states. For this, the pass percentage in the tenth class in the 18-25 year old population, CBSE and ICSE boards by the respective states has been taken into consideration.
There are 5413 scholarships for Plus 2 students and 577 scholarships for ICSE students across the country under the CBSE scheme. In Andhra Pradesh, 3527 scholarships have been allotted to students studying through the Intermediate Board and 2570 to Telangana Inter Board students. Science, Commerce and Humanities students are selected on a 3: 2: 1 basis from state-wide scholarships.
*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details, and we are not responsible for anything
12th Model Paper 2023 | 10th Model Paper 2023 | Model Paper 2023 | Scholarship- Fellowship | JNVST Result 2023 | LI9 | Sample Paper 2023 | Board Paper 2023 | Sample Paper 2023 | EDPOST | 10th Model Question Paper 2023 | Model Paper 2023 | JNANABHUMIAP | Board Model Paper 2023 |