National Overseas Scholarship for PwD Students to study Abroad. The National Overseas Scholarship for Students with Disabilities Scheme provides financial assistance to the students with disabilities who are finally selected for pursuing Master’s level courses and Ph.D abroad in the following specified fields of study:
- Engineering & Management;
- Pure Sciences & Applied Sciences;
- Agricultural Science & Medicine;
- Commerce, Accounting & Finance and
- Humanities, Social Science & Fine Arts.
No. of Scholarships: Twenty (20) awards per year are available under the Scheme.
Women Candidates: As the endeavor is to encourage women candidates, therefore, out of the total of twenty scholarships six scholarships for each year shall be earmarked for women candidates.
|Name of the Scholarship||National Overseas Scholarship for PwD Students|
|Title||Apply for the National Overseas Scholarship for PwD Students|
|Subject||Ministry of Disability Affairs released NOS for PwD Students 2022 notification|
|Disability Affairs Website||https://disabilityaffairs.gov.in/|
|NOS Website||Disability Affairs Scholarship|
However, in case adequate number of women candidates are not found available as per the stipulations of the Scheme or found unsuitable for selection by the Selection Committee, then the unutilized slots are to be utilized by selecting suitable male candidates.
Over the past few years, it has become increasingly easier for Indian students to pursue higher studies abroad. Their endeavors are helped by the numerous scholarships available to them. Till now, however, there were no scholarships to study abroad specifically meant for students with disabilities.
The National Overseas Scholarships to study Abroad for Disabled Students:
Therefore, in 2014, the government via the Central Sector has introduced the National Overseas Scholarships to study abroad (master’s and Ph.D) for students with disabilities, in the following areas of studies:
Engineering and Medicine:
- Bio-technology/Genetic Engineering
- Industrial Environmental Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Petro-Chemical Engineering
- Plastic Technology
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Automation Robotics in including Artificial Intelligence
- Laser Technology
- Low Temperature Thermal Dynamics
- Dock and Harbor Engineering
- Imaging System Technology
- Composite Materials Engineering including Decentralised Power Distribution(for Solar Heat) system, Energy Storage Engineering, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficient Habitat Engineering
- Packaging engineering./Technology
- Nuclear Engineering
- Information Technology including Computer Engineering, Software, Software Quality Assurance, Networking/Connectivity Engineering, Communication System under Hazardous or Post- disaster conditions, Multi-media Communication
- Industrial Safety Engineering
- Reproductive health
- Nuclear Medicine
- Agriculture and Agro Technology
- Floriculture & Landscaping
- Food Sciences & Technology
- Forestry & Natural Resources
- Plant Pathology
- Farm Power & Machinery
- Veterinary Sciences
- Soils & Water Management
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Small-scale Rural Technology
Humanities and Social Science
- Journalism & Mass Communication
Pure Science/ Applied Science
- Ocean and Atmospheric Science
- Molecular Biology
- Corporate Finance
- Development Finance
- Business management
- Students with disabilities below 35 years of age securing 55% marks and above in bachelor’s degree/ master’s degree within parental annual income of Rs.6,00,000/-per annum are eligible to apply.
- The scholarship is effective from 1st April, 2014. Also, only two children from the same family will be eligible for the scholarship.
There are 20 scholarships available per year (6 scholarships reserved for women) meant for students wanting to pursue Master’s and Ph.D abroad. The annual maintenance and contingency allowance for candidates going to the US and other countries is 15,400 USD and 1,500 USD respectively.
The annual maintenance and contingency allowance for candidates going to the UK is GBP 9,900 and GBP 1,100 respectively. Financial assistance will be provided till the course is completed or till the following period (whichever is earlier):
- PhD – 4 years
- Masters Degree – 3 years
- Candidates may apply for two types of grants a) scholarships and b) passage grants.
- They will need to download the form from (www.socialjustice.nic.in) and submit it to the Under Secretary, DD-IV-B Section, Department of Disability Affairs, M/o SJ&E, Govt. of India, PDUIPH, 4, Vishnu Digambar Marg, New Delhi – 110 002 within one month of the publication of the advertisement for the scholarship.
- Students will also need to submit a number of additional documents to validate their application form particulars the details of which can be found in the application form itself.