The North Eastern Council (NEC) under the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India invites applications for NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER 2020-21 from students pursuing diploma/ degree/ postgraduate/ MPhil/ PhD programmes.
The scholarship aims to providing financial assistance to students of North-Eastern Region undergoing studies in various disciplines at a recognized Indian institution. The students will receive a stipend of up to Rs.30,000/- per annum.
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020 for Financial Support to the students of NER for Higher Professional Courses. These scholarships are available for studies in India only and shall be awarded by the North Eastern Council, Ministry of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India, Shillong to the eligible candidates of the North Eastern States.
Eligibility for NEC Merit Scholarship 2020
To be eligible for the scholarship, an applicant must be a permanent resident of any of the North-Eastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, and Tripura)
Candidate get admission in diploma, degree, postgraduate, MPhil or PhD programme. Candidate must be have an annual family income of less than INR 8 lakh from all sources
Candidate must have passed HSLC/HSSLC/Secondary School Leaving /Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognised State/Central Board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (For Diploma courses)
Candidate must have passed HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognised State/Central Board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (For Degree courses)
Candidate must have passed a degree level examination in any discipline (BA/BSc/BE/B Tech/MBBS/LLB/BCA/BBA etc.) of any recognized Institute/ University with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (For Postgraduate courses)
Candidate must hold a PG degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (For MPhil/PhD programmes).
Selection Criteria for NEC Merit Scholarship:
Selection will be based on their overall merit and academic performance of the candidates. The scholarship is purely on merit basis. The merit list will be prepared exclusively on the basis of marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exams and complying with the level-of-course-wise slots allotted to the states.
Selection of students for M. Phil and Ph. D. will be done on the basis of topic of research/Synopsis which has relevance to the problems/issues related to NE Region. For further details, please see the “Rules for Award for NEC Merit Scholarship” on NSP.
Benefits of NEC Merit Scholarship:
The selected students will receive stipend under this scheme as per the rates given below table. Scholarship amount for fresh and renewal cases (existing students) as follows
|Level of Study||NEC Merit Scholarship amount|
|Diploma||Rs.20,000 per annum|
|Degree||Rs.22,000 per annum|
|Post graduate||Rs.25,000 per annum|
|M. Phil./Ph D||Rs.30,000 per annum|
Current Stipend Rates of NEC Merit Scholarship
|Level of study||Stipend||Book-grant|
|Diploma||Rs. 900/- p.m.||Rs. 1000/- p.a.|
|Degree||Rs. 1000/- p.m.||Rs. 1400/- p.a.|
|Post Graduate||Rs. 1200/- p.m.||Rs. 2000/- p.a.|
|M.Phil||Rs. 1500/- p.m.||Rs. 3000/- p.a.|
|Ph.D.||Rs. 1500/- p.m.||Rs. 3000/- p.a.|
The rates are subject to revision form time to time. A Committee will be appointed by the Secretary, NEC for the purpose.
Required Documents for NEC Merit Scholarship
The applicant must be in possession of following documents at the time of application. He/ She may be asked to upload a scanned copy of these documents as per requirement or extant rules /guidelines.
- Permanent residence certificate
- Recommendation by the Head of Institution
- Undertaking for not availing any other scholarship
- Marksheets of the qualifying examination
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- Copy of Aadhar Card/first page of bank passbook/PAN card/Email id/Ration Card/Birth Certificate etc.
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority
Steps to apply for NEC Merit Scholarship?
The applicants are required to fill up application form on National Scholarship Portal (NSP) (www.scholarships.in), within the prescribed date for receipt of application, following due procedure/guidelines mentioned thereon.
They may also fill up the application form using NSP Mobile app. The applicants are, however, encouraged to apply at the earliest as it will provide them opportunity to make correction/updating etc. in their application, if suggested by the verification authority
Follow the steps below to apply for the scholarship:
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue’.
- Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
- Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
- Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
- Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
- An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
- Scholarship announcement date: 16th August 2020
- Scholarship closing date: 20-01-2021
- Last date for defect verification: 05-02-2021
- Last date for Institute verification: 05-02-2021
FAQs on NEC Merit Scholarship
- What is NEC Merit Scholarship?
North Eastern Council Merit Scholarship is a Financial Support to the Students of N.E.R (North East Region) for Higher Professional Courses
- Who are eligible to apply for the NEC Scholarship Scheme?
Students fulfilling the eligibility criteria of the scheme guidelines of NEC Merit Scholarship of Ministry of DoNER are eligible to apply for these scholarships. These are available on the National Scholarship Portal.
- What is the Selection Process of students for NEC Merit scholarship?
Selection will be based on their overall merit and academic performance of the candidates.
- What is the amount of scholarship under NEC Merit Scholarship scheme?
The rates of scholarships are subject to revision from time to time. As and when need arises for such revision a Committee will be appointed by the Secretary, NEC for the purpose. The present rate of scholarship for related Subjects/Courses at different levels is as mentioned above
For diploma level course – Rs.20,000 per annum
For degree level course – Rs.22,000 per annum
For PG courses – Rs.25,000 per annum
For MPhil/PhD – Rs.30,000 per annum
- What is the last date for NEC Merit scholarship submitting applications online?
Closure dates for acceptance of NEC Merit scholarship applications are available in National Scholarships Portal.
- How can Student apply online for NEC Merit scholarship?
In order to apply online, please visit the website through URL www.scholarships.gov.in or through the mobile app of NSP. Student may click on particular Scheme displaying in on-Boarded schemes section on the Home page to apply.