The Welfare and Rehabilitation Board (WARB), Ministry of Home Affairs invites applications for Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme 2020-2021 For Central Armed Police Forces And Assam Rifles from the dependent widows and wards of Central Armed Police Forces
and Assam Rifles personnel and dependent wards of State Police personnel to pursue the first professional degree at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Candidates can now apply for PM Scholarship Scheme 2021 which was recently launched to encourage higher technical and professional education for the wards and widows of Ex/ Serving Army/Navy or Air Force personnel.
The Ministry will select several candidates out of all the applicants for this scheme, where 50 percent seats will be reserved for females.
PM Scholarship is Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS), run by the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, is a scholarship scheme that aims at encouraging higher professional and technical education for the dependent wards and widows of CAPFs & AR and SPP.
Initiated in the year 2006-07, the PM scholarship scheme has by far influenced lakhs of students and helped them pursue their dream career with ease.
The Government of India has recently approved major changes in the scholarship by revising the scholarship amount for girls from Rs 2,250 to Rs 3,000 per month and scholarship amount for boys from Rs 2,000 to Rs 2,500 per month. Adding to this, 500 new scholarships will also be given to the wards of State Police officials who are/were martyred in naxal or terror attacks
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme 2021 for CAPF, AR and SPP
|Scholarship Name||Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme 2021|
|Scholarship issuing Agency||Ministry of Home Affairs|
|Title||MoHA Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme 2020|
|Scholarship Level||National Level|
|Full-Form||Ministry of Home Affairs Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme 2020 for Central Armed Police Forces, Assam Rifles and State Police personnel|
|Name of the Department||Ministry of Home Affairs|
|Scheme Closing Date||31-12-2020|
Eligibility: An applicant must:
- Be a ward or widow of deceased CAPF and AR personal who died in harness at work, OR
- Be a ward of personnel who became disabled at work, OR
- Be a ward or widow of retired and serving CAPF & AR personnel (below officer rank), OR
- Be a ward of Ex-CAPFs and AR personnel who are in receipt of Gallantry Awards, OR
- Be a dependent ward of State Police personnel who got martyred during Naxal/Terror attacks
- Be pursuing first professional degree courses such as Engineering, Medicine, Dental, Veterinary, BBA, BCA, BPharm, BSc (Nursing, Agriculture, etc), MBA, MCA, etc.
- Have secured 60% marks in the qualifying exams i.e class 12, diploma, Graduation or equivalent (Minimum Entry Qualification – MEQ)
- INR 3000 per month for girls
- INR 2500 per month for boys
- Note: The scholarship amount is to be paid annually after selection at INR 36000 to each girl and INR 30000 to each boy.
Documents: Following documents are required:
- Service certificate
- Scanned copy of the mark sheet of MEQ i.e class 12, Diploma, Graduation or equivalent
- PPO or Discharge certificate Mandatory for category A to F
- Disability certificate (mandatory for
- Death certificate (mandatory for category A and C)
- Certificate of Gallantry award (Mandatory for category E)
- For State Police Personal ward – A certificate indicating the person is killed in terror/Naxal attack.
Selection Criteria: The selection of the candidates is done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by them in MEQ and the order of preference set by WARB.
Key features of Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2020:
- This scholarship is only for wards of ex-members of Army, Navy or Air force. It will also apply to widows of those armed forces personnel who lost their lives in the line of duty.
- The scheme is designed by the central government and will be implemented all over India.
- The government will be awarding financial grants to 5500 applicants every year.
- The male candidates will receive Rs. 30,000 every year and female candidates will receive Rs. 36,000 every year.
- The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2020 will be offered for a time period of 1 to 5 years to each candidate, depending on the courses they are pursuing.
- Each applicant can only fill the form for this scheme for one course.
How To Apply: Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through the following steps:
- Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal and click on ‘New Registration’.
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and ‘Continue’.
- Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
- Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
- Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
- The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
- Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
- An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
- To ensure renewal of the scholarship for subsequent years, the students need to pass the professional course with at least 50% marks.
- The scholarship can be tenable for up to 5 years depending upon the duration of the course pursued by the applicant.
- The selected students will also receive a personal letter from the Honourable Prime Minister.
- The students admitted in the second year of professional/technical bachelor degree course through lateral entry can also apply for the scholarship.
- The selected scholars will receive the scholarship amount directly into their bank accounts through the PFMS (Public Finance Management System) under the DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) programme.
Scheme Closing Date: 31-12-2020
Defective Verification Closing Date: 15-01-2021
Institute Verification Closing Date: 15-01-2021
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can a student apply offline for the PM scholarship?
No, only online applications are accepted for PM scholarship through the official website https://scholarships.gov.in/
- What is the eligibility Criteria for PM scholarship?
PM scholarship is Open for dependent wards/widows of Ex-RPF/RPSF personnel.
Students must be pursuing technical or professional degree courses
Students must have secured 60% or above in Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) i.e., Class 12, Diploma/Graduation
- If a student is studying in the 2nd year of professional course, can he/she apply for the Prime Minister Scholarship?
No, the student in the first year of professional courses only can apply for the scholarship, except for the lateral entries and integrated courses.
- Is the PM scholarship applicable for diploma courses?
No, the prime minister scholarship scheme is not applicable for diploma courses. It only covers professional degree courses that are recognised by a central regulatory body like AICTE, UGC, MCI, etc.
- Is the scholarship open for PG courses?
No, only MCA and Management (MBA) courses are eligible under this scheme.
- Can a student use PM scholarship to study abroad?
No, the scholarship is paid to carry out studies in India only.
- Can a PMSS scholar apply for the same scholarship again?
No, a student can avail the scholarship only for one course.
- What are the criteria to be fulfilled to get the scholarship for the subsequent years?
The students have to secure a minimum of 50% marks in each academic year/semester to the scholarship for subsequent years failing which the scholarship will be closed for them.
- Is the scholarship available for civilians or wards of Para-military personnel/central armed forced police?
No, the scholarship is only applicable to the wards and widows of Ex-servicemen who have served the Coastguards, Air Force, Army or Navy.
- What are the documents required to apply for PM Scholarship?
While applying for the PM Scholarship, the students need to support their application with the documents like academic certificates, bank account details, and death certificate/service certificate/deceased certificate/certificate of gallantry award/disability certificate (whichever is applicable).