State Institute of Educational Technology(SIET),Hyderabad was established in 1985 with 100 percent financial assistance from Government of India, New Delhi as a Production Centre of Educational Television and Radio Programmes in regional language(Telgu) for school children in the age of 5 to 14.
SIET broadcasting Channels
- DD Yadagiri / DD Saptagiri
- Mana TV
- All India Radio
In order to make operational procedures quick and more functional, the institute was converted into Autonomous Society by the Department of School Education in December, 1990.
To assist the Directorate of School Education in implementation of educational and programmes both in formal and non-formal sectors. and To understand all activities which may seem appropriate for furtherance of above objective.
State Institute of Educational Technology at Hyderabad focuses on research and production of audio and video programs. The main objective of this institution is to support the Department of School Education in the implementation of Educational policies and programs.
Its programmes are
- Educational Video Programmes,
- Educational Radio, Programmes,
- Interactive Multimedia Learning Objects
Educational Video Programmes
The Educational Media Programmes primarily assist in the Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE). They cover a very wide area, which includes instruction in 3 R’s.
Programmes of immense value acts mainly as stimulants to create interest and awareness in children. Stories, Songs, Dance Ballets, Experimental Demonstrations etc., are used as formats in programme making not only develop the skills and talents in participating children, but also appeal to the viewer groups.
Through this persuasive medium of communication attempts are made to instill right attitudes and social values, which are in consonance with the needs of modern society and secular democracy.
Themes like national integration, health and nutrition, sanitation, preservation of environment, energy conservation and population education are treated with over-all aim of widening the horizons. The Institute so far has produced 3000 television programmes covering curricular and co-curricular areas, topics of general interest, both to teachers and children.
Educational Radio Programmes
In addition to the ETV programmes, the Institute so far has produced 1200 Audio/ Radio programmes. The All India Radio, Hyderabad allotted three days (Monday, Tuesday and Friday) in School Radio Broadcast Chunk for broadcasting SIET produced programmes.
The programmes in Telugu, Environmental Studies I and II are for children for classes I to V will reach the target audience through Radio. The Institute has also been producing Audio / Radio lessons for DPEP- SSA for broadcasting in “Vindaam-Nerchukundaam” time slot.
Ongoing activities of SIET
- Production of education media material for both TV and Radio and transmission through Doordarshan and All India Radio, Hyderabad
- Conduct of workshops and training programmes for persons involved in the use of media material.
Evaluation and Research on material produced by the Institute.
- Monitoring, Utilization of ETV and ER transmission.
- Conversion of Video programmes into CDs and supply to schools.
- Lending Video and Audio Studios for commercial production for income generation.
- Production of video programmes for SSA(School Edn., Dept), MANA TV Channel and other Departments, for income generation.
- Production of audio programmes for SSA for Classes I to VII both for Telugu and Urdu medium schools.