National Overseas Scholarship for ST Students. National Overseas Scholarships is a Central Scheme to provide financial assistance to meritorious students for pursuing higher studies in a foreign university in specified files of Master Level Courses, PhD and Post-Doctoral research programmes, in the field of Engineering, Technology and Science.
The Scheme was introduced during the year 1954-55 and has since been revised from time to time. This was the Non-Plan Scheme, which became a Plan Scheme from 2007-08.
Ministry of tribal welfare, Govt of India has given a press release for National Overseas Scholarships for ST (Scheduled Tribe) Students and applications are invited from eligible candidates for giving scholarships.
Application form, Last date for apply, eligibility criteria, guidelines details are available @ tribal.nic.in
No. of Scholarships: 20
(For STs: 17, for PTGs: 3)
4 Passage Grants
|Category||No. of Award|
|Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG)||03|
1. Financial assistance is provided to 15 meritorious students (13 for ST and 2 for PTG) for pursuing higher studies abroad at the Masters level and Ph. D and Post-Doctoral research programmes in 35 specified disciplines of Engineering, Technology and Sciences.
2. The Scheme attempts at enhancing the employment avenues for ST candidates.
3. 100% Central Assistance is provided directly to the candidates.
4. The prescribed financial assistance is provided till completion of the course/ research or the following period, whichever is earlier:-
(a) Post Doctoral Research – 1&1/2 years (One and a half year)
(b) PhD – 4 years (four years)
(c) Masters Degree –3 years ( three years)
The extension of stay beyond the prescribed period for levels of courses as mentioned above may be considered without the financial assistance of any kind except the air passage to return to India, on the recommendation of the competent authority in the educational institution/ university as well as the Indian Mission abroad.
|Overseas Scholarship Name||Details|
|National Overseas Scholarship||NOS|
|Ambedkar Overseas Vidya Nidhi for SC, ST||Ambedkar Overseas Scholarship|
|Chief Minister’s Overseas Scholarship Scheme for Minorities||CM Overseas Scholarship|
|Mahatma Jyothiba Phule Overseas Vidya Nidhi for BC and EBC students||MJP Overseas Scholarship|
|AP Ambedkar Overseas Vidya Nidhi Scholarship||AP Overseas Scholarship|
|AP Videshi Vidya Deevena||Overseas Study Scholarship|
What is the minimum qualification required for availing scholarship?
For Post-Doctoral: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree and Ph.D.
Experience: 5 Years – Research /Teaching /Professional in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
For PhD: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree.
Experience: 2 Years – Teaching /Research/Professional/M.Phil Degree in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
For Master’s Degree: 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s Degree.
Experience: 2 Years work experience in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
1. The candidate should belong to Scheduled Tribe community.
2. The candidate should be First Class with 60% marks or equivalent grade in relevant degree for Master Degree, PhD and Post Doctoral Research.
3. The age of the candidate should below 35 years.
4. Total income from all sources of the employed candidates or his/her parents/guardian should not exceed Rs.25000/- per month (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of the total income for the purpose of income tax).
5. Not more than one child of the same parents/guardian is eligible.
6. Candidates who are in employment must forward their applications through their employer along with their NOC.
7. The finally selected candidates are required to obtain admission and join an accredited university/ institution abroad within three years from the date of communication of selection.
1. The selected candidates are given the cost of tuition and other educational fees charged by the foreign university etc., maintenance and other grants along with travel expenses.
2. Only Passage Grants are available to four ST candidates every year who are in receipt of merit scholarship for Postgraduate studies, Research or Training abroad (excluding attending Seminars, Workshops, Conferences) from a Foreign Government/ Organization or under any other schemes where the cost of passage is not provided.
3. The awardees are permitted to supplement their prescribed allowances by undertaking Research/Teaching Assistantship up to prescribed ceilings. Where income earned is beyond the ceiling, the maintenance allowance under the scheme shall be correspondingly reduced by the Indian Missions abroad.
How much Financial Assistance is available?
Answer: The selected students get the Scholarship as per below details:
|Components||Amount in US dollars/ UK Pounds|
|Annual Maintenance Allowance||$15,400 (USA and other countries except UK) £9,900 (for UK)|
|Annual Contingency and Equipment Allowance||$1532 (USA and other countries except UK) £1116 (for UK)|
|Poll Tax||Actuals, wherever applicable|
|Visa fees||Actuals, wherever applicable|
|Incidental Journey Expenses||US Dollars 18.70 or its equivalent in Indian Rupees are permissible.|
|Tuition fees||As per actuals will be admissible.|
|Medical Insurance Premium||Actual as charged will be admissible.|
|Cost of Air Passage||Air passage grant on actual basis from India to the nearest place to the educational institution and back to India, by economy class and shortest route in arrangements with Air India, shall be provided.|
|Local travel||2nd or Coach class railway fare from port of disembarkation to the place of study and back and in case of far flung places not connected by rail, bus fare(s) from the place of residence to the nearest railway station, actual charge of crossing by ferry, air fare to the nearest rail-cum-air Station and/or II class railway fare by the shortest route to the port of embarkation and back will be permissible.|
What documents are needed to be uploaded on Portal while applying for Scholarship?
The following documents are required to be uploaded for Fresh applications under the National Overseas Scholarship:
a) DOB Certificate (10th /matriculation certificate should be uploaded as date of birth proof)
b) ST Certificate
c) PVTG Certificate
d) Profile Photo (Size: – 50 KB-100KB)
e) Family Income Certificate
f) Master Degree (Mark sheet) and Conversion factor formulae from CGPA to equivalent percentage mark (if CGPA)
g) Ph.D (Mark sheet) and Conversion factor formulae from CGPA to equivalent percent of mark (if CGPA)
h) Copy of Tax Assessment (ITR/Form 16), if applicable
How to apply online for National Overseas Scholarship?
Student applying for fellowship for the first time need to “Register” on the National overseas Portal athttps://overseas.tribal.gov.in as a fresh applicant by providing accurate and authenticated information as printed on their documents in the “Student Registration Form”.
After successful login details, a text message will be sent to the registered e-mail address.
What are the formalities to be completed before proceeding for studies abroad?
The selected candidates are required to furnish all such documents and agreements before their departure abroad, as decided by Government of India from time to time.
The candidates need to obtain admission and join an accredited university/ institution abroad within two years from the date of communication of selection.
Further, it will be for the candidate to obtain the appropriate visa for a country wherein he/she intends to study further under award from the scheme, and for the visa issuing authorities to issue only such visa as permits the candidate to pursue the specified course abroad and thereafter the candidate returns to India.
Government of India will render no assistance to a candidate for obtaining visa.
What to do after getting admission and obtaining Visa?
After a candidate has obtained confirmed admission in a foreign educational institution and obtained the appropriate visa, the candidate is required to intimate the same to this Ministry.
After verification of admission letter and visa along with other requisite documents, this Ministry will issue the ‘confirmed award letter’ to the concerned candidate, wherein the details of the course, educational institution etc. will be also mentioned.
|Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MOTA)||tribal.nic.in|
|National Overseas Scholarship Portal||NOS Portal|
|National Overseas Scholarship Registration||Registration Link|
FAQs On National Overseas Scholarship for ST
- Who can apply for National Overseas Scholarship Scheme for ST?
This scheme is open for all ST students who are currently pursuing or wish to opt for higher studies abroad for Masters, PhD & Post-Doctoral research programme.
The candidate should fulfill the criteria as per the scheme guidelines for National Overseas Scholarship Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs. The guidelines may be seen at https://overseas.tribal.gov.in/
- How many slots/awards available for National Overseas Scholarship for ST?
There are 20 slots/awards available for National Overseas Scholarship for each year. Six awards earmarked for female beneficiaries. In case earmarked awards remain un-filled, these awards may be transferred to male beneficiaries. The Scheme doesn’t provide any employment opportunities to the awardee after his/her completion of the course.
- What are the fields of studies under this scheme?
The following field of study are covered under this scheme:
1 Engineering, Management& Economic/Finance: 07
2 Pure Science & Applied Science: 03
3 Agriculture &Medicine: 05
4 Humanities and Social Science: 05
- Is there any age criteria for availing scholarship?
The age of student should not be more than 35 years as on 1st July of the selection year.
- Is there any family income criteria required foravailing scholarship?
The Total family’s income from all sources of the candidate or his/her parents/guardians or spouse should not exceed Rs.6,00,000/- per annum (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of total income for the purpose of Income Tax) as certified by the employer. If the candidate is currently employed, a copy of latest tax assessment [ITR, Form-16] be also enclosed in the application.
- Can more than one child of the same parent /Guardianavail scholarship under the scheme?
Not more than one child of the same parents/guardians will be eligible and to certify this a self-certification will be required from the candidate. An individual can be given the award only once and cannot be considered for the award for second or subsequent time.
- Who can issue the income certificate?
The Income certificate should be issued by competent authority of State Government.
- What is the time period within which candidate need to join the course after obtaining provisional award letter?
A selected candidate is required to join within 2 year of receipt of intimation from this Ministry regarding selection for the award/assurance. On expiry of this specified period of time, the award automatically gets cancelled.
- Can a research scholar allowed to receive stipend from Research/teaching assistantship”?
The research scholar is permitted to supplement their prescribed allowances by Undertaking Research/Teaching Assistantship up to US Dollar 2400 per annum and for research scholar in United Kingdom, Pound Sterling 1,560/-per annum. Where income earned is beyond these prescribed ceilings, the maintenance allowance under the scheme shall be correspondingly reduced by the Indian Mission abroad. For other countries, US Dollar 2400 per annum or equivalent rates would be applicable.
- If a student is unable to complete his /her course, what will happen in that case?
If a student defaults and does not complete the course, he/she is liable to refund entire scholarship amount received by him/her to the Ministry. The para X of the scheme guidelines “Default under the scheme” may be referred for details.
- What should students do, in case they face any problem while filling the application form in Google Chrome?
If students face any problem while filling the application form in Google Chrome, they are advised to use internet explorer. In case any issue/error in internet explorer as well, they are advised to clear browser history /cache and try again.
- What should be the Type and size of the documents and profile photo to be uploaded?
All documents should be uploaded in pdf file and the Profile Photo should be in .jpg/.jpeg format(Size: – 50 KB-100KB).
- Can I edit the information already saved and up to what time?
You can edit information till you ‘Submit’ the application finally.
- Which fields I can edit before final submission of application?
You can edit all details except
“Registration Details”. It may be noted that once you ‘finally submit’ your application, it will be forwarded to the next level and after that you cannot edit application further.
- Which fields in the application form are mandatory?
Fields provided with black asterisk(*) mark are mandatory fields.
- Do I have to fill up the online application in one sitting?
No, you can fill up the online application in many sittings by clicking ‘Save Draft’ button, until you are satisfied that you have entered all desirable fields correctly. The software provides auto save facility to save your application at every stage until you click on ‘Submit’ button finally.
- What should I do if I forget my password?
The process of re-set of the password is given as below:
• Student login->Forgot Password
• Enter the mobile number and click on the submit button.
• Enter OTP received on mobile Number and enter new password,
• Click the submit button.
- How can I check my result?
After login, enter valid Award no and Password to check the status. Your application status shows as “Pending” or “submitted” under the option ‘Check Your Status’.
- What is the selection procedure?
The screening committee will scrutinize all the applications based on the eligibility criteria and shortlisted candidates will be called for personal interview by the Ministry. Selection is based on the interview by the selection committee. Twenty candidates will be finally selected and accordingly provisionally award letter will be issued to the selected candidates.
- Can I change my mobile number and email id after submission of application form?
No, you cannot change your mobile number and email id after submitting the application form. You need to maintain the same mobile number and email-id throughout the selection process. However, in case your contact detail changes due to some unavoidable reasons, the same may be communicated through online query at https://tribal.nic.in/Grievance/ with the Ministry at the earliest.
- Can I change my domicile state/district name after submission of application form?
No, you cannot change your domicile state/district name after submission of application form.