National Scholarship Scheme, National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC), for and on behalf of Department of Disability Affairs, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India, invites applications from Students with Disabilities for the award of Scholarship under the National Scholarship (Trust Fund).
National Scholarship Scheme (Trust Fund)
1. Under this scheme, 2500 Scholarships will be awarded to eligible students with disabilities for degree and postgraduate level professional and technical courses from recognized institutions in India.
2. 30% scholarships will be reserved for girls, which will be transferable to male students in case of non-availability of female candidates.
3. Applicants may apply at any time in the academic year for scholarship under this scheme. Scholarships will be awarded quarterly basis for the applications received in the preceding quarter Under this scheme, an advance copy of the application should also be submitted online (www.nhfdc.nic.in) by the candidate.
4. Reimbursement of Non-Refundable fees restricted to the limit of fee of similar courses in Government/ Government -aided institutions. The maintenance allowance will be paid to the students for 10 months @ Rs. 2500/ per month for Professional Graduate Courses and Rs.3000/- per month for Professional Post-Graduate Courses in one academic year.
5. Books/VStationery allowance will be paid to students pursuing Professional Graduate Courses @ Rs.6,000/ per annum and Rs.10,000/- per annum for pursuing Professional Post-Graduate Courses.
Differently-abled students, in addition, will be provided financial assistance for the purchase of aids & appliances (only once during lifetime).
6. Monthly income of the beneficiary /parent or guardian should not be more than Rs.25,000/- (Rs. 3.00 Lakh p.a.) from all sources. Family income includes the income of the parent/guardian.
7. A Scholarship holder under this scheme will not avail any other scholarship/ stipend for pursuing the course
Scholarship Scheme II for 2500 Differently Abled Students
Objective: The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial assistance to the differently-abled students to enable them to pursue professional or technical courses from recognized institutes and get employed/self-employed.
Differently-abled students face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity to earn their livelihood and find a dignified place for themselves in the society.
This scheme envisages encouraging differently-abled students by providing scholarships and other assistance to pursue professional or technical courses and various skill development courses for their empowerment.
Number of Scholarships: To start with every year 2500 scholarships will be provided to the differently-abled students throughout the country. 30% scholarships will be reserved for girls, which will be transferable to male students in case of non-availability of female candidates.
Scope: These scholarships will be available for studies in India, for all differently-abled students who are covered under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999. Only Indian Nationals will be eligible for scholarships.
Benefits and Scholarship Amount:
The following benefits will be available under the scheme:
(i) Non-refundable fees shall be fully awarded in the case of Government/Government-aided institutions. In the case of private Institutes, the reimbursement would be restricted to similar courses in Government/Government-aided institutions.
(ii) The maintenance allowance will be paid to the students for a period of 10 months only in one academic year at the following rates.
(Rs. per month)
|Book/Stationery allowance |
(Rs. Per annum)
|Professional Graduate Courses||2500/-||6000/-|
|Professional Post-Graduate courses||3000/-||10000/-|
(iii) Visual, Hearing and Orthopaedically handicapped differently-abled students, in addition, will be provided aids and appliances, only once during lifetime, as given below :
|1.||Brailler / Brailler Typewriter||Rs. 10,000||For blind|
|2.||Laptop with Screen reading software||Rs. 40,000||For blind|
|3.||Laptop with Screen Magnification software||Rs. 60,000||For low vision|
|1.||Binaural digital programmable hearing aid with annual provision of button cells||Rs 50,000 + Rs 3600 p.a.|
|2.||Cell phone with an SMS SIM card||Rs 5,000|
|3.||Laptop with WiFi (Blue tooth) facility||Rs 70,000|
Implementation of the Scheme
Conditions for Scholarship:
- Financial assistance will be given to pursue a degree and/or postgraduate level technical and professional courses from a recognized institution. Maintenance, book/stationary allowance, and grant for the purchase of assistive devices will be credited to the student’s account.
- Non-refundable fees shall be reimbursed to the student on the production of proof of deposit of fees or will be paid directly to the Institute under intimation to the student.
- The scholarship will be awarded for only one course at a time.
- Students who get admission to a college to pursue technical/ professional courses, on the basis of a competitive examination will be eligible for the scholarship without any consideration of percentage of marks at higher secondary/graduation level.
- Students who get admission to technical/professional courses without facing any competitive examination will also be eligible for the scholarship. However, such students should have not less than 50% marks at higher secondary/graduation level. The selection of these students will be done strictly on merit basis.
- Students who pursue their education through correspondence would also be eligible for the scholarship.
- Continuation of the scholarship in subsequent years will be automatically subject to the successful completion of the course during the preceding year. However, the grace period of one year shall be admissible for the entire course in specified categories.
- A candidate who is awarded a scholarship for one course, after its completion will be eligible for another course too. However, the awardees will not be eligible for a similar or equivalent course.
- A scholarship holder under this Scheme will not avail any other scholarship/stipend for pursuing the course.
- The annual income of the beneficiary/parent or guardian of the beneficiary should not exceed Rs. 3.00 lakh from all sources. However, preference shall be given to economically weaker students.
Other Conditions for the Scholarship:
- The scholarship is depended on the satisfactory progress and conduct of the scholar. If it is reported by the head of the Institution at any time that a scholar has by reasons of his/her own act of default failed to make satisfactory progress or has been guilty of misconduct such as resorting to or participating in strikes, irregularity in attendance without the permission of the authorities concerned, etc.,
- the authority sanctioning the scholarship may either cancel the scholarship or stop or withhold further payment for such period as it may think fit.
- If a student is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statement, his/her scholarship will be canceled forthwith and the amount of the scholarship paid will be recovered. The student concerned will be blacklisted and debarred for scholarship in any scheme forever.
- A scholarship awarded may be canceled if the scholar changes the subject of the course of study for which the scholarship was originally awarded or changes the Institution of study without prior approval of the Government. The amount already paid may also be recovered at the discretion of the Government.
- A scholar is liable to refund the scholarship amount at the discretion of the Government if during the course of the year, the studies for which the scholarship has been awarded, is discontinued by him/her.
- A scholar is liable to refund the scholarship amount at the discretion of the Government if during the course of the year, the studies for which the scholarship has been awarded,
- is disconScholarship will not be paid for the period of internship/horsemanship in the M.B.B.S. course or for a practical training in any course if the student is in receipt of some remuneration during the internship period or some allowance/stipend during the practical training in any course. inured by him/her.
- The conditions can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India.
Publicity of the Scheme
The Scheme will be given wide publicity over print and electronic media. The assistance of State Governments and other agencies such as UGC, Universities and prominent colleges and institutions will also be sought in giving publicity to the Scheme.
How to Apply:
- Application in the enclosed prescribed format shall be submitted at any time during an academic year to the assigned agency. An advance copy of the application should also be submitted online.
- Each applicant shall be given a registration number on receipt of the application. The screening committee shall examine these applications quarterly and the scholarship amount will be disbursed.
- Renewal of the scholarship is automatic in next year subject to the successful completion of the course in the previous year. However, in the case of students with cerebral palsy, mental retardation, mental illness, multiple disabilities, and profound server hearing impairment, a year grace period may be allowed.
- Along with the application the following enclosures will have to be furnished:
- Academic record – attested copies of relevant certificates/mark sheets for the qualifying examination.
- Proof of annual income – Proof of income shall include last salary slip of parent/guardian, acknowledgment of income tax/income certificate e from revenue official/gazetted officer/public representative e.g. MP, MLA, MLC, Panchayat officials, etc.;
- Attested copy of Disability certificate;
- Course fee receipt if any, duly paid during the academic session;
- Receipt/Invoice of eligible assistive devices duly countersigned by the authorized signatory of the institution;
- In case of continuation of scholarship in a succeeding year, a copy of the mark sheet of the preceding year.
- So, The applicant has to apply online (www.nhfdc.nic.in) and printed copy the online filled application duly countersigned and recommended by the Head of the Institution,
- where they are studying along with requisite documents send to National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC), Red Cross Bhawan, Sector-12, Faridabad-121007. It is to be noted that without a hard copy of the application, a candidate’s application in soft copy will not be entertained.
Processing of applications
1. The procedure for processing of applications will be outsourced to a reputed agency;
All the applications will be processed in a time-bound manner;
2. The applications scrutinized by the authorized agency shall be placed before a screening committee periodically for the final award of scholarships;
3. Income certificate is to be submitted by the student only once i.e. at the time of sanction of scholarship.
Before Submit the Application form please read the below mention enclosures:
(i) Academic record – attested copies of relevant certificates/mark sheets for the qualifying examination.
(ii) Proof of annual income – Proof of income shall include last salary slip of parent/guardian, acknowledgment of income tax/income certificate from revenue official/gazetted officer/public representative e.g. MP, MLA, MLC, Panchayat officials, etc.;
(iii) Attested copy of Disability certificate;
(iv) Course fee receipt if any, duly paid during the academic session & verified by the institution.
(v) Enclose Receipt/invoice of eligible assistive devices purchased from authorized dealer having VAT/TIN/CST No. (recommended by the Institute)
(vi) Attested copy of all enclosure must be attested by Gazetted Officer /Head of Institute/College.
(vii) Candidate must enclose Bonafide certificate duly sign/seal head of the institute with Photo duly attested
Prepare the following files to upload at the time of filling of application form
(i) Disability certificate should be in pdf, doc format having file size not more than 100 kb.
(ii) Current Year Paid Fee Receipt should be in pdf, doc format having file size not more than 100 kb.
(iii) Candidate Photo should be in jpg, bmp, png format having file size not more than 50 kb.
(iv) Cancel cheque Or Copy of passbook should be in pdf, doc format having file size not more than 100 kb.
(v) In the case of the Renewal Form.
Marksheet of the previous year(In case of semester system, enclose mark sheet of two-semester in one pdf()Upto 100kb)
- Who are eligible to apply for Scholarship Schemes (Trust Fund)?
Differently-abled students pursuing to pursue degree and/or post graduate level technical and professional courses from a recognized institution. for these scholarships.
- How can I apply online for scholarship?
In order to apply online, please visit the website through URL www.nhfdc.nic.in
- How to check the status of my application?
Student can check the status of Online Application by submitting his/her Permanent id.
- Is there any permanent ID?
Yes. An Application ID (Permanent ID) will be provided to the candidate once his/her Registration is done. Students should memorize their Application ID as it will be required while applying for Fresh/renewal scholarship.
- Can I apply as a Fresh candidate if I am a Renewal candidate?
No, you cannot apply as a fresh candidate if you are a Renewal candidate. Your application will be rejected in that case.