Higher Education has had played a very vital role in the history of nation-building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country.
It obviously calls for a multipronged strategy. There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education.
It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing Post-Graduate education in our institutions of higher learning. To emerge as a powerful nation, there is an urgent need to bring in talented boys and girls in the field of Post-Graduate education by way of providing them good incentives in the form of scholarships. The UGC, therefore, introduced a Post-Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University UG rank holders.
The scholarship may be tenable for a period of two years to enable the rank holders of each university at the undergraduate level to pursue their Master’s Degree. All universities/degree awarding institutions would be required to issue rank certificates to the toppers of the university in B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com. The purpose of this scheme is to attract talent for pursuing post-graduate studies besides strengthening the basic subjects at the Undergraduate level. The awardees, under this scheme, can pursue their Postgraduate program in any area of specialization in any institution of higher learning in the country.
Guidelines for UGC Post Graduate Merit Scholarship Scheme for University UG rank holders:
The objective of the Scheme:
a) to promote and nurture talent;
b) to reward meritorious students with outstanding performance at the Undergraduate level for pursuing postgraduate studies;
c) to Promote study in basic courses at the undergraduate level. Professional courses are not covered under the scheme;
d) to build up academic excellence at the postgraduate level across the colleges and universities in the country.
1. The First & Second Rank holders at undergraduate level and admitted in any Postgraduate Course would be awarded the scholarship. The students will have to submit the proof of their merit position at undergraduate level as well as their admission in postgraduate courses.
2. The scholarship would, however, be subjected to securing a minimum of sixty per cent
marks at undergraduate level.
3. The scheme is applicable to such students who have taken admission in regular, full-time Master’s Degree course in any recognized university, deemed university, private university, autonomous college or a post graduate college.
4. The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only. Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
5. Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships:
1. Life Sciences
2. Physical Sciences
3. Chemical Sciences
4. Earth Sciences
5. Mathematical Sciences
6. Social Sciences
Before forwarding applications students/Universities may kindly ensure that application satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
Number of Scholarship and Tenure of Scholarship:
1. The total number of scholarships in the first academic year would be 3000.The duration of the scholarship will be two years only. The tenure of the scholarship will not be extendable beyond two years, under any circumstances.
2. The rank holders would be considered from affiliated universities wherein at least 100 students and in Deemed/Private Universities, Autonomous/Non-affiliated Colleges, at least 25 students have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level in the aforesaid programmes.
Monitoring/Operation of the Scheme:
The Scholarship will be awarded by the UGC and will be informed to the concerned Universities and awardees pursuing Master’s programmes. The selection will be purely merit based. The scholarship will be disbursed through College/ University where the awardees have taken admission in PG Course.
Financial Assistance under the Scheme:
1. The financial assistance for the scheme will be provided by the UGC to all the eligible universities/ institutions which are under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC Act. The Universities in turn will be responsible to submit all documents such as Statement of Expenditure and Utilization Certificate etc. to the UGC to settle the accounts.
2. Each awardee, under the scheme, will be provided a scholarship of Rs.2,000/- p.m. for a period of two years (i.e. 10 months in a year). The second year grant will be released after receiving Utilization Certificate and statement of expenditure along with the progress report of the first year .
3. No other additional grants will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
Scholarship @Rs. 31000/-per month
1. The student who is awarded Post-graduate Scholarship will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarship.
2. Students desirous of leaving the studies mid-way without completing the PG degree will have to take prior approval from the UGC by submitting an application along with justification through the concerned university.
3. Any student who discontinues studies without prior approval of the UGC will have to refund the whole amount and the concerned institution will be responsible for this.
4. The university/college/ institution has to submit a certificate of completion of the PG
course in respect of each student availing this scholarship.
5. No extension is permissible beyond two years.
Cancellation of Scholarship:
The UGC may terminate the scholarship of any student in case of:
a) Misconduct of the awardee, if any, reported by the University/ Institution.
b) Unsatisfactory progress report (i.e. if the candidate scores less than 60% marks in the first year of Master’s program)
c) Candidates being found ineligible at a later date shall face the penal action and will also be liable to refund the entire Scholarship amount paid.
Documents to be submitted:
1. The candidate is required to submit an application only through ONLINE MODE.
2. Attested copy of university undergraduate-degree.
3. Matriculation certificate.
4. A verification certificate by the institute where, students has taken admission to Ist
Year P.G. Course.
5. Prescribed format of provisional Rank certificate from the university / autonomous college.
Certificate to be submitted by the concerned university/ institution to the UGC Every year University/Institution will submit a compiled statement for the following:
i) Statement giving the names of the students selected for the scholarship along with their receipt of scholarship amount.
ii) Progress Report to be submitted after the first year of the award giving percentage of marks obtained by the candidates.
iii) Utilization certificate.
Key date to be remembered:
Submission of Online Application start from:
Last date for apply online : see on official webportal
Two incentive Schemes (University Rank Holder and Single Girl Child) and one Scholarship Scheme(PGPROF) under UGC are now open for applications
- What is the eligibility criteria for PG Scholarship for University Rank Holders
Students pursuing postgraduate studies can apply for PG Scholarship. Students must be the first or second rank holder in their graduation examination with at least 60% marks.
The maximum age limit is 30 years.
Students must have completed graduation in one of the specified disciplines
*Disclaimer: We have published the above information for reference Purpose only, For any changes on the content we refer to visit the Official website to get the latest & Official details